Garth Thompson

Corpsmancollector

A very nice Aussie made beauty! But phew...that's some money. Here's the back:

post-5339-1308058942.jpg

Will

A very nice Aussie made beauty! But phew...that's some money. Here's the back:

post-5339-1308058942.jpg

Will

I believe this to be an example of auction fever. The top two bidders were in the 3700 range but after that the next bunch was two thousand dollars less at 1000 to 1500. I think this demonstrates a case where someone really wanted the patch an placed a "no loose" bid meaning that they placed a ridiculously high bid thinking no one could possibly or realistically bid that high. The problem here is that two people had the same idea thus producing the crazy price. The recent historical price for this patch is 1200 to 1500 and has been quoted by dealer members of this forum. We must remember that this year someone was smart enough and quick enough to do a "buy it now" on ebay of 300 for this patch. My point is that this new high is an aberration and should not be the buy price for this patch. Mort

Corpsmancollector

Very well said Mort, I think it is indeed a case of 'auction fever' and a 'got to have it at any cost' attitude of the high bidders.

Will

I agree with Mort.They are rare but they do show up.Two walked into the KC show last year.

Have seen them bring way less.A forum member got a nice one for around $350.Just a matter of patience and not getting the gotta have syndrome.More money than sense in my book.

It looks like this seller has been unloading a patch collection:

post-214-1308063542.jpg

post-214-1308063547.jpg

He is a well known collector and ASMIC member and has been selling on ebay for quite a while

Corpsmancollector

Also strange that it went for more than the 502nd S-2 patch as there were far less of them made than there were the patch in question (unless I'm mistaken).

Will

Garth Thompson
Also strange that it went for more than the 502nd S-2 patch as there were far less of them made than there were the patch in question (unless I'm mistaken).

Will

They are pretty close in rarity and number available. The USMC TD - Half Track will only be found Austrailian made and was never widely used. The S-2 may be fewer in number but the USMC is right up there with it.

Garth

Corpsmancollector
They are pretty close in rarity and number available. The USMC TD - Half Track will only be found Austrailian made and was never widely used. The S-2 may be fewer in number but the USMC is right up there with it.

Garth

Thanks Garth :thumbsup:

Will

Garth Thompson
Something went wrong - no way this patch deserves that price...

I absolutely agree. Mort nailed it "auction fever". It is however a $1200 - $1500 patch IMHO.

Garth

vintageproductions

This patch is a super tough one to find. I have only handled two of them and both sold in the $2200.00 to $2500.00 range.

Dan should be very happy that two bidders got bitten by the extreme bidding bug.

This patch is a super tough one to find. I have only handled two of them and both sold in the $2200.00 to $2500.00 range.

Dan should be very happy that two bidders got bitten by the extreme bidding bug.

Nice to see........ ;)

Thats my writing on the back with the price folded up.I would like to see what I sold that beauty for back then.It just goes to show you what someone will pay for something they really want.50.000 dollar comic books as an example.Good for Dan.Scotty

88thcollector
Well,

That person made $15,215.45 from all the insignia listed...

WOW...

not really, we have no idea what he paid for any of them. it ain't all profit, i am sure.