what is the period of this flashlight?

marentius

Found this flashlight in a fleamarket,what era does it belong to?I don't think it's a ww2 era flashlight,nor a VN era one.

Is it military anyway?thanks for any info.

post-2571-1308039252.jpg

post-2571-1308039270.jpg

Quartermaster

TL122 indicates the WW2 time frame.

The lens holder on the lens end plus the threads on the battery end for the lens holding compartment (which is missing) indicates a TL122D model.

The chrome components indicate a commercial product.

Plus every true TL122 model flashlight that I have seen would have "TL122D" molded into the body not just "TL122".

Most probably not military.

Get a better picture of the right side of the lettering, it looks like someone scratched the letter off after the 122. Looks like a military light that has been repaired.

For some reason the letter has been removed. You can see the - as in TL-122- indicating a letter followed.

Appears to me that some dum bass tried to screw somebody at the antique market. The dealer new original WWII flashlights were marked TL-122 and so he scratched off the D. Clearly it has been removed. Unfortunately for the crooked dealer the original TL-122's had metal bodies. The lengths some folks go to to screw us out of our dollars. :blink:

Hi thanks for the infos,actually I bought for less than 10 USD,I cannot figure out why someone had to scratch off on both sides the letter D.If it has been repaired iit's been done quite professionally,because the metal fittings,although cromed,are the same size and type as the blackened ones usually found on these lamps.

I'll post a better close up pic of the right side of the lettering.

Quartermaster
Ronnie wrote: "Unfortunately for the crooked dealer the original TL-122's had metal bodies. The lengths some folks go to to screw us out of our dollars."

TL-flashlights.jpg

Hummmm .... I guess my plastic TL-122B's, TL-122C's and TL-122D's are fakes.......

Looks like the crooks sometimes don't have to go to great lengths to screw some of us out of our dollars..

:lol:

TL-flashlights.jpg

Hummmm .... I guess my plastic TL-122B's, TL-122C's and TL-122D's are fakes.......

Looks like the crooks sometimes don't have to go to great lengths to screw some of us out of our dollars..

These you have pictured do not look fake. i was in i`ve seen many variations of these i even had one that was yellow and black bodied. i was givein it while i was in. i picked another up at auction,but it`s still in box and paper from 1952. I honestly never seen a one that was metal.

To detect fakes we have to see more details. A couple of things are the bottom cap of the TL122A looks like a replacemet took from a boyscout lamp. The third has a very unusual switch, but it could be peculiar with that manufactuurer. Very important are manufacturer markings on bottom plug.

Yes, a "demilled" TL122D. However there is no military TL122s without a letter, these are commercials.

I did mean to say TL-122A

I still think this was done in an effort to screw someone out of a few dollars.

Thanks.

TL-flashlights.jpg

Excuse me please in my haste to respond I neglected to say 122A. Yes I know the subsequent 122's had plastic bodies.

Please don't shoot me.

Quartermaster

Jeez guys -- they're all the real deal - I was just having a little fun with the statement that "all the TL 122's were metal."

The bottom of the TL 122A is correct and black - it just looks kind of silver from the camera flash. BTW - I also have a few Boy Scout flashlights so I know the difference. All my TL 122A's have a blackish/blued looking bottom cap.

As for the TL 122C (the third one) - that's actually NOT an unusual switch --- the switch is made mostly of plastic due to metal shortages (there was a war going on, remember?) The plastic switch component moved a small ball bearing back and forth to make or break contact with the internal components.

In case you want to know, the Lucky Strike label on the TL 122B (the second one) is the GI's early version of the red filter. I got that info from talking to vets --- actually heard it independently for two different fellows ---- and it works!

Back in the day - TL122s were everywhere -- I have a box of 'em - all versions. Most of them work.

TL-flashlights.jpg

I will say that your 122B is fake as none were made with a "Lucky Strike Red Filter"... ;)

I see a little mess here.

The WWII US Army regular angle head lamps are ony the TL122A-B-C-D ones being TL the distinctive Signal Corp denomination for TOOL.

The TL122A has brass body and cast alloy head while the TL122B is made out bad smelling plastic (put your nose on and you'll agree) and for that reason it was replaced by the TL122C. Successively they thinked it could have been useful having colored filters and made the TL122D. After that WWII ended.

In the pic my complete WWII set TL122A,B,C,D plus the Boy Scout model near identical to TL122A

post-67-1308247272.jpg

post-67-1308247629.jpg