What was that Funny looking steel pot ?

I was browsing in the movies section and looked in on the topic about the movie Patton , one member left a Quote on the odd helmet George C Scott was wearing through out the film. I too always noticed it and wondered what the hell kind of helmet that is. Also in the TV show MASH, Major margraret houilhan, when she is wearing the steel helmet, in any episode you chose to look at when she is wearing one,IS wearing this same type, the exact same type although she has a gold leaf on her's. Does any one out there in the forum know the origen of this helmet. Is it a foreign one or maybe im thinking a totally made from scratch prop, perhap in light weight material's ?

I was browsing in the movies section and looked in on the topic about the movie Patton , one member left a Quote on the odd helmet George C Scott was wearing through out the film. I too always noticed it and wondered what the hell kind of helmet that is. Also in the TV show MASH, Major margraret houilhan, when she is wearing the steel helmet, in any episode you chose to look at when she is wearing one,IS wearing this same type, the exact same type although she has a gold leaf on her's. Does any one out there in the forum know the origen of this helmet. Is it a foreign one or maybe im thinking a totally made from scratch prop, perhap in light weight material's ?

Those were manufactured by the Hollywood prop people and are made of fiberglas. Since surplus M-1 helmets were considered too heavy by some actors, the fiberglas props were made so as to alleviate that problem. I can understand that for a woman like Loretta Swit the M-1 would be heavy but c'mon, George wasn't man enough to carry the heavy lid on his head? ;)

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I always thought they were a European made helmet. (in the movie Patton) they don't appear to be fiberglass. You can tell by the way they react when they are removed. The movement is that of a heavier object than fiberglass. You can notice the same thing in movies where a fiberglass or plastic gun is being used. The movement is to quick...not heavy and slow. When a bomb strikes close to Bradley's jeep his helmet comes off. It doesn't respond as if light and made of fiberglass.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

post-8022-1308068964.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

post-8022-1308069086.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Those were manufactured by the Hollywood prop people and are made of fiberglas. Since surplus M-1 helmets were considered too heavy by some actors, the fiberglas props were made so as to alleviate that problem. I can understand that for a woman like Loretta Swit the M-1 would be heavy but c'mon, George wasn't man enough to carry the heavy lid on his head? ;)

You could be right, i do know that in hollywood they do make consesion's for actor's. Like in one of my favorite war movies pork chop hill, the M52 vest worn by peck you can see that it doest have the bulk of this type of flak jacket,you can see that the protective padding has been removed. It's certainly visable on all the other actor but not his. But i do think that the helmets from patton and mash where maybe some kind of prop, but in the tv series combat they used mock up helmets as the seasons progressed, in this case they where fiberglass, but they where made to basically look identical to the M1 pot. Here in patton(With scott,Who should be accustomed to wearing one, by virtue of being in the marine corps for i think 6 year's) looks like a kind of metal and it has very little resembilness to our own handsomely contoured steel helmet. and could be some perhaps a south american ? one.

I always thought they were a European made helmet. (in the movie Patton) they don't appear to be fiberglass. You can tell by the way they react when they are removed. The movement is that of a heavier object than fiberglass. You can notice the same thing in movies where a fiberglass or plastic gun is being used. The movement is to quick...not heavy and slow. When a bomb strikes close to Bradley's jeep his helmet comes off. It doesn't respond as if light and made of fiberglass.

In the movie, Brad the "GI general" i believe wore a genuine GI pot .

P-

In what scene do you refer that G. Scott is wearing the fiberglass prop? In the scene that Sabre copied in the field, it looks like the actor wears a real M1 shell and liner. In the other scene, of G. Scott addressing the troops, it seems to me he wears a liner. It seems to me that a propmaster would not make a fiberglass prop of a shell, since one would be as light as the other.

Luis R.

P-

In what scene do you refer that G. Scott is wearing the fiberglass prop? In the scene that Sabre copied in the field, it looks like the actor wears a real M1 shell and liner. In the other scene, of G. Scott addressing the troops, it seems to me he wears a liner. It seems to me that a propmaster would not make a fiberglass prop of a shell, since one would be as light as the other.

Luis R.

Thats a negative. The helmet patton has on is not a us steel helmet, it has a very noticeably differant apperance. two clues as to it's nonstandard look is that the rim is not flared out as us pots it appears to have a slightly smaller overall apperance and the swiel bales jutt out to far. Some guy's think it might be a prop the shell in any case, but i think it might be a copy from a latin american country or maybe since it was filed in morroco and spain maybe its one from one of these countries as by 1969 when prodution started these countries maybe began to make copies based on the M1 steel helmet

If you want to see another flookty-doop helmet watch "A Bridge Too Far". Ryan O'Neal (playing Gen. Gavin) has a plastic looking pot on his head. It is especially noticeable in the last scenes when all the generals are standing on the church steeple blaming everything under the sun. I guess he really was nothing but a pretty face it's a wonder the real Gavin didn't rip his lilly livered throat out. JMHO.

BEAR

If you want to see another flookty-doop helmet watch "A Bridge Too Far". Ryan O'Neal (playing Gen. Gavin) has a plastic looking pot on his head. It is especially noticeable in the last scenes when all the generals are standing on the church steeple blaming everything under the sun. I guess he really was nothing but a pretty face it's a wonder the real Gavin didn't rip his lilly livered throat out. JMHO.

BEAR

As I recall, for that scene actually he wears a French M1951 helmet which bears a passing resemblance to an M1.

Sabrejet

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

As I recall, for that scene actually he wears a French M1951 helmet which bears a passing resemblance to an M1.

Sabrejet

sabjet look in the the abouve reply's i left you a message/quote. also you are right about o,neil 's pot it did look like a frog one.

sabjet look in the the abouve reply's i left you a message/quote. also you are right about o,neil 's pot it did look like a frog one.

Hey Patches....I'm at work right now (0830hrs here!) I'll see what I can do this evening!

Ian :thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Voila mes amis!

post-8022-1308153075.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Here's George C. Scott as Gen. Patton. The liner and swivel loops are clearly visible in this shot.

post-8022-1308153265.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

In the movie, Brad the "GI general" i believe wore a genuine GI pot .

Nope...he wore the same thing Scott did. When he loses his helmet after a nearby explosion a GI hands him what appears to be an original M1. Through out the movie it appears that these actors have different helmets on. In most movies the company will have several helmets or uniforms or weapons that an actor will use. In the movie "The Devils Brigade" William Holden wears an A2 jacket in several scenes. If you look you can clearly see that it's not the same jacket in every scene.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

This is from the "I did it for the money" follow-up, years later. A very small looking liner!

post-8022-1308154359.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

This is from the "I did it for the money" follow-up, years later. A very small looking liner!

post-8022-1308154359.jpg

Good job Saberjet, Thank's. In the new photo Saberjet posted from the 1970 movie you clearly see what most member's are referring to. This helmet is not a US steel helmet, note the the bail's, see how oversized they be, and the overall smallish size of the pot. anybody know about spainish helmet's ? it look's like a steel helmet, but a foreign one.

I was looking closely at it last time it was on TV a few weeks ago and it looked like a liner within a liner. You could still see the liner rivets on the outer shell in many of the shots although 'glassed over and the way the bales stuck out made them appear as if they were simply placed between the two shells.

In scenes with other people wearing a real steel pot it was very obvious.

Nope...he wore the same thing Scott did. When he loses his helmet after a nearby explosion a GI hands him what appears to be an original M1. Through out the movie it appears that these actors have different helmets on. In most movies the company will have several helmets or uniforms or weapons that an actor will use. In the movie "The Devils Brigade" William Holden wears an A2 jacket in several scenes. If you look you can clearly see that it's not the same jacket in every scene.

THANK"S for the reply here, i would like to see a clip of that as the only one i can remember wearing that funny looking helment was patton. ill try if i can watch for FREE on line, some clips or see some images.