Pawn Stars and American Pickers!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all need to remember that you are watching a television show!!! I know a guy that sold the pickers a bike 5 yrs ago and guess what....they bought it again on one of their shows.......nothing like salting a show....

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

The buckle on Am. Pickers was a U.S. Belt Plate and the one on Pawn Stars was a C.S. plate. To answer doyler's question yes the so called expert on Pawn said all the oval C.S. plates were fakes which I believe is incorrect, the one on the show was definately fake. However I have caught other mistakes from the experts on the show, on one episode a Civil War Artillery sabre was id'ed as a Cavalry sabre.

Were they both CS buckles??

thoght the one onPickers was aUS.both were denately fake.

I heard the museum guy on Stars said the Confederates never wore the oval buckle and the ovals were all fake.Did I hear correcly???

Doyler,

You are correct they did not have that pattern of buckle for the CS. They did have oval (egg shaped) plates with a CS on them, but not like the one on the show. That model was created for reenactors. Same as the US buckle, but with CS letters.

Funny that both shows said they were fake, but did not provide any indication/education as to why. First let's start with some physics: A Minie ball made of lead strikes a plate that consists of thin brass with a back filled of lead. Said Minie at velocity strikes the stationary buckle then puntures brass and lead, but retains it's shape coming out the other side. :think:

Hopefully someone out there will see this thread before forking out some cash on a Confederate relic, or any relc for that matter, do some homework first and know what you are buying. Don't rely on the seller to educate you, unless the seller is a known, reputable seller.

- Ron

My vices: The American Civil War and earlier US militaria and the Thompson submachine gun...yes, I know that sounds odd.

President, The American Thompson Association

Thompson Collectors Association

Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Michigan Antique Arms Collectors
Sons of the American Legion

Don’t forget that a lot of this show is set up. I’ve talked to two friends of mine who live in the area who’ve taken cool items there just to see what they’d say. Both were told, “Come back at this date and this time, and act like you’ve never been here before, and we’ll make you an offer for this amount”. The pawn shop itself is not like it shows on TV, What you see is a tiny sliver of the shop itself, the majority of it looks like any scummy pawn shop anywhere. :thumbdown:

“American Pickers” is set up at times as well. Another pal of mine in the Midwest heard on the radio and TV that the guys would be in the area and who to call for the guys to “spontaneously” show up and to act like they had no idea anyone was coming. And they have a clue what they’ll be seeing ahead of time, otherwise the show would be a lot of looking over total junk that NOBODY would ever want. That doesn’t make good TV at all.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

It's all for entertainment...

Everytime I watch American Pickers I feel like I should renew my tetnus shot. I have picked through a farm junkyard looking for old farm vehicle license plates... it is not fun and nor is it safe.

What amazes me is while the show may be a set up, the absolute tons of stuff people have squirreled away in their houses and out buildings. You can look at the posts on here and see dozens of neatly ordered collections. Compare that to the hodge podge accumulations you see depicted on the show. Sometimes it is just stunning... especially when it has been left behind by the dear departed husband or father for their loved ones to clean up and dispose of.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The good thing about both these shows is that kids love them and they are learning a little bit of history even if it's from a pawn shop or the pickers. We went to Vegas a couple of months ago and that's where my kids wanted to go. They had some cool stuff but it is a pawn shop. They make a killing with the show merchandise.

I have heard from a couple of friends that live nearby that the experts are usually the ones who bring the items in, they just grab someone in line or off the streets and have them take the item into the shop. It's a show and they are going to ride it as long as they can.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Isn't it odd that the 'pickers' are never met at the door by somebody yelling about who they are, why are they on the property, and why the lights and cameras. It insults my intelligence. Thats my main reason why these types of shows irritate me. Modern media could do so much more with the resources they have available.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Isn't it odd that the 'pickers' are never met at the door by somebody yelling about who they are, why are they on the property, and why the lights and cameras. It insults my intelligence. Thats my main reason why these types of shows irritate me. Modern media could do so much more with the resources they have available.

back in the first early episodes where I felt they " kept it real" , they actually had people tell them to get off their property and some took their want list, crumpled it up and threw it at them!

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

back in the first early episodes where I felt they " kept it real" , they actually had people tell them to get off their property and some took their want list, crumpled it up and threw it at them!

Kurt

KURT: I watch those shows on television and wondered if the camera crew were driving behind Mike and Frank like they do on "California Gold" with Huell Howser who mentioned his cameraman Luis Fuentes sometime. They do find some interesting rusted out bicycles, motorcycles, oddities, oil-cans, gasoline pumps, etc., most of the stuff seems straight up. I think they are better organized than the viewer might know and Daniella probably gets lots of call from people wanting to sell their stuff and be on television. The pawn shop probably pays a commission to the "experts" to say what they think something is worth, never saw the same "expert" more than once? I suspect they sell tee-shirts and baseball caps, "American Pickers" offers them and is not shy about it. I wonder if they sleep in the van of check into a Motel 6? They remind of "Mutt and Jeff." I'll bet they take separate vacations and hand in different circles? Mike and Frank obviously have to call in consulants as none of us knows about everything. It is entertainment like "Storage Wars" and "Auction Hunters," with the same four men who have to go to specialty stored to see what their finds are worth and the younger man and older man with a tattooed bald head and are patterned after "Storage Wars." I doubt you'll see a t.v. show about an insignia dealer as they would not be so successful if would be customers got to really know them? I go on eBay only for printed matter showing insignia, medals, uniforms, etc., scan it and pass it along to whomever wants it for adding clutter to their own house. I religiously watch those shows as well as re-runs of "Law & Order." The "Pawn Stars" can afford to over-pay as they get a million dollars of publicity and make it up on sales to starry-eyed tourists! You can see the GREED in the faces of the bums who hear they will have a lot more to gamble with. The "Old Man," "Chumley and Corey certainly look the part of Charles Dickens characters of Shylock! Repulsive ir goofy looking actors seem to fare well on t.v.?

Herbert Booker

donation2018.gif

It's all entertainment......and I enjoy watching all of the shows mentioned. It's way better than non-funny sit-coms.

As far as the Picker guys never getting threatened while trying to get on someone's property......I worked for a contract archaeology company years ago, and one of my jobs was to contact land owners within our project area and "get permission" to dig up their property; when in reality we could do it without permission if it came to that. This was partially urban, partially rural area.

Everything went well for the most part. A lot of it is how you present yourself and being reasonable with others. Pickers isn't much different......I'm sure they get turned down sometimes, but most people aren't going to fire warning shots at their van before they speak.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

The ACH was actually part of a grouping that came with a parachute (modern one, don't know the nomenclature) and they wanted $1,500 for the whole thing.

I told them this is still modern gear, that it is all still readily available, and that they produce this stuff by the hundreds of thousands! I guess he didn't hear me above the noise of tourists milling about taking pictures--oh well. It was a nice camo ACH with NOROTOS mount and if the price was reasonable I might have picked it up.

But the 5th Marine helmet is still sitting in back and he told me to call him in 2 weeks. Will update you guys when I see it and photograph it. I also asked if they keep records about where the helmet came from, who owned it, etc, etc. Sadly, no...so much for the History Channel keeping history alive.

I know if something is pawned they are required to keep for so many days before they can sell it. Is it the same if it is sold to them?

Ray

donation2013.gif

I know if something is pawned they are required to keep for so many days before they can sell it. Is it the same if it is sold to them?

Ray

Not sure Ray. I suppose that if the item is straight-up SOLD to the pawn shop, they can turn around and sell it to whoever. Who knows...maybe they don't even have the helmet, maybe it was just on loan from a collector for the bit on TV. I know there are a few other collectors out here in The V.

I understand Pawn Stars is a show--but just because those guys are on TV don't mean I'm going to buy anything from their shop at 200% above market value. I think the store has in effect become a tourist trap, a place where the audience gets to touch, feel and take pictures of the set. I doubt they actually sell anything anymore and all their "real" revenue comes from the show.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

The good thing about both these shows is that kids love them and they are learning a little bit of history even if it's from a pawn shop or the pickers.

Amen to that. My daughters love both of the shows, especially the historical items that roll in from time to time. Given how little kids know about history (and there was a news story on Drudge that hammered that point home), anything that gets 'em interested in history is a good thing.

donation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

The helmet was sold.They have no obligation to keep it for 90 days.They own it.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Not sure Ray. I suppose that if the item is straight-up SOLD to the pawn shop, they can turn around and sell it to whoever. Who knows...maybe they don't even have the helmet, maybe it was just on loan from a collector for the bit on TV. I know there are a few other collectors out here in The V.

I understand Pawn Stars is a show--but just because those guys are on TV don't mean I'm going to buy anything from their shop at 200% above market value. I think the store has in effect become a tourist trap, a place where the audience gets to touch, feel and take pictures of the set. I doubt they actually sell anything anymore and all their "real" revenue comes from the show.

If they buy it, instead of taking it on pawn, they own it and can do whatever they wish.

I am sure they make a ton of money from things brought into the shop, unlike the guys on American Pickers who seem to be mostly performers buying things with a small markup - the Pickers guys were not even partners until the TV show began: they hired Frank and Danielle as "cast," and I'd bet Danielle does not work except when filming her segments.

The Pawn Star guys do get paid for the show and somewhere I read that Corey told someone they'd keep doing the show as long as the pay was good, but even discounting overpaying for some items, those guys still bring in some very profitable merchandise and of course the show never deals with their bread and butter: the actual pawn business. Between gamblers and the pitiful Las Vegas economy there has to be a whole lot pawning going on.

As for their selling prices: I put them on par with antique shops which commonly price militaria at levels which seem ludicrous to militaria collectors and dealers, but they aren't looking to sell to knowledgeable militaria collectors. It's rather like a recent very big estate sale of hundreds of bayonets and swords here in San Diego County, Even on the last day when they discounted the blades, most were still priced at more than you could get for them on Ebay but the general public was buying them up none-the-less: I helped one woman pick out two bayonets to give her husband for his birthday - like most other buyers that day, she something cool she wanted to buy and at a price she could afford: she wasn't concerned about "market value" at all.

And as with overpriced militaria at many estate sales, there were no doubt several buyers who (wrongly) assumed they were getting bargains on something they could resell on Ebay for a nice profit.

That Marine helmet at the pawn shop will end up hanging the wall of some guy who appreciates the coolness of it, has the money in his pocket, and is not the type to go search Ebay for months to find something similar for maybe less money.

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

ALL of these shows are set ups. I have it on good authority that most of the rare stuff that is brought in to the Pawn Stars shop is brought in by collectors who have been asked to bring in a rare item and pretend they want to sell it. I have been involved in the antique and collectibles trade (including militaria) for many years and many of the so-called "customers" are known collectors in their field and just want to be on TV. They don't even buy the stuff, they just pretend to for the camera. Why in God's name would people bring rare stuff to a freakin pawn shop to sell it when they could do better on ebay or an antique auction. I love how they always have a conveniently local buddy come in and give an evaluation FOR FREE! Even though these "buddies" live in Southern California! I love the "appraiser" who put the $150. evaluation on the 1918 LF&C knuckle knife, or the fact that Rick Harrison didn't know what a sawback bayonet was and told the customer that somebody probably did this with a file in his garage! Also, what good is an antique gun that doesn't fire? Are these guys kidding? :thumbdown:

ALL of these shows are set ups. I have it on good authority that most of the rare stuff that is brought in to the Pawn Stars shop is brought in by collectors who have been asked to bring in a rare item and pretend they want to sell it. I have been involved in the antique and collectibles trade (including militaria) for many years and many of the so-called "customers" are known collectors in their field and just want to be on TV. They don't even buy the stuff, they just pretend to for the camera. Why in God's name would people bring rare stuff to a freakin pawn shop to sell it when they could do better on ebay or an antique auction. I love how they always have a conveniently local buddy come in and give an evaluation FOR FREE! Even though these "buddies" live in Southern California! I love the "appraiser" who put the $150. evaluation on the 1918 LF&C knuckle knife, or the fact that Rick Harrison didn't know what a sawback bayonet was and told the customer that somebody probably did this with a file in his garage! Also, what good is an antique gun that doesn't fire? Are these guys kidding? :thumbdown:

I agree 100%. I know some folks with some pretty rare highly collectable stuff who have been contacted by Pawnstars producers and asked to fly to Vegas and "try to sell" particular items from their collections. People seem to forget these shows are about entertainment first and foremost. They are scripted for the most part and nothing gets done without 100 phone calls from producers.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American . . . There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have no room for but one flag, the American Flag . . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language . . . and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

- Theodore Roosevelt, 1919

Who knows why people do many things that they do but people do some crazy things..like bringing high dollar items into a pawn shop to sell at very ,low prices. Don't know any better, lazy..? I know a family who owns pawn shops in the area and the things that people bring in to sell is just unreal...and there is no TV show involved. For example, they recently had two very nice..like unissued looking Remington Rand 1911A1's that they paid under $100 for each..so yes these things do happen in real life.

And as mentioned a few times , they typically price things very high but at least these guys negotiate on the prices. I recently bought a like new 1944 Remington 03A3 from them. Price was $799. I asked to look at the rifle and he said "$400" as he handed it to me.

I recently picked up a nice un-cut 16 inch OL 1942 bayonet with scabbard for $50

I picked up a 1942 Remington 1903 with a $500 .22 conversion kit it in for $175.

I only mention these examples to show that these deals really do go through the pawn shop doors. They are buying things cheap and selling at good prices if you care to haggle with them.

Pawn shops are like most other businesses, they are there to make money. Obviously they can't give someone what their item is worth because they have to try to sell it for that price.

My .2

Rob

Has anyone else checked out the Pickers website. I did a year ago and then again yesterday, just to see what they were offering. There is little or no mention of Frank compaired to last year. Seems sort of strange to me. This is fine, I really don't care for him. :w00t:

Where'd Frank go!!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Always looking for 70th Division(The Trailblazers) items or photos.

- the Pickers guys were not even partners until the TV show began: they hired Frank and Danielle as "cast," and I'd bet Danielle does not work except when filming her segments.

Frank and Mike were partners before the show....we have seen them arround the flea mkts in Iowa for years

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Well well well. This is all news to me. I always thought that Pawn Stars paid people to come in, but I never knew they didn't own the stuff or didn't even sell it.

I am disappointed about American Pickers, if that is all true. I like that show. :(

My wife stopped in at their shop in Iowa while out visiting her family....she said Danielle was working there at the shop, which was very small, and she said Danielle was a very nice person too!!....mike :thumbsup:

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Just talked with a guy today who knows the man who owned that gatling gun they used a while back. The onwer has zero intention to sell it was paid to act like he might sell it, so they could show them shooting it on TV.

No big shock there, really.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

Just talked with a guy today who knows the man who owned that gatling gun they used a while back. The onwer has zero intention to sell it was paid to act like he might sell it, so they could show them shooting it on TV.

No big shock there, really.

I wonder if the producers of the Pawn Stars show paid for the ammo when Rick the Dick fired that gatling gun? :lol: