Rifle carry on Rucksack

LtRGFRANK

I once had some one show how to carry the Garand strapped to a WWII Mountain Rucksack. I can't find it in my files. If some has pictures or instructions could you please post them. I have a rucksack with all the straps. Thanks. Robert

I need them by this coming weekend as my son is going to an event at Ft Drum NY

Johan Willaert

The GIs in the pictures above carry the earlier rucksack with no hooks to attach rifles.

The later rucksack did have provisions to attach the rifle.
The lower (butt) rifle sling swivel hooks unto the hook attached to the lower right side of the rucksack frame.
The strap with ladder buckle and ring wraps around the top (front wood) of the rifle and passes over the upper back of the wearer coming down over his left shoulder and attaches with the ring unto the small hook which is located on the rucksack's left shoulder strap.

post-92-0-31265000-1399537830.jpg

The GIs in the pictures above carry the earlier rucksack with no hooks to attach rifles.

The later rucksack did have provisions to attach the rifle.

The lower (butt) rifle sling swivel hooks unto the hook attached to the lower right side of the rucksack frame.

The strap with ladder buckle and ring wraps around the top (front wood) of the rifle and passes over the upper back of the wearer coming down over his left shoulder and attaches with the ring unto the small hook which is located on the rucksack's left shoulder strap.

MountainRifleStrap.jpg

Passed on to my son. Many thanks.Robert

DesertRatTom
Here's another good source; it contains a link which shows in detail how to rig up the Rifle...

http://www.mountaintroops.us/history_rucksack.html

You beat me to the answer. All the sites on that URL are worth looking into; there also posts on these boards dealing with ways to carry the Garand on the Ruck. There is also a section on how to carry the M-14 using the rifle pocket of times, too.

Tom

• 6 years later...

Hello, can anybody help me where to find informations, how to wear a rifle on M1952 mountain rucksack?

I think, it will be a bit different from the M1942.

See picture

Thank you

2pydg8w.jpg