Special Forces BDU

MPage

You're right in theory and actually USASFC Reg 350-1 does state that the SFOD(A) team sergeant is supposed to be a Jump Master (for that matter, so is the Team Tech and the Team Leader). So, your E-8 BDU shirt should most likely have either Senior or Master Parachutist wings.

However, dispite the regulation, it is not as uncommon as you might think to have the odd SFC or MSG who still has Novice Parachutist wings. It happens for various reasons, usually because the Jump Master Course can be hard to get a slot for sometimes, and without the JM Course, no matter how many jumps a guy has, he'll still be wearing Novice wings.

BTW, I couldn't access the link to see the particular shirt you're asking about. (Never mind, I got to it. For what it's worth, IMO the shirt looks good from what can actually be seen in the pictures.)

HTH,

Mike

I have a very good friend who is an E-7 in the Special Forces and still wears basic parachute wings. He has gone to jumpmaster school three times and has been dropped each time. His explanation is that he has made enemies at the school and he is getting the shaft from the boys at the school. I know that it has been noted on his NCOER which will probably keep him from ever making E-8, but he is what he is.

He has approximately 400 jumps by now, so he isn't exactly a novice.

Allan

I have a very good friend who is an E-7 in the Special Forces and still wears basic parachute wings. He has gone to jumpmaster school three times and has been dropped each time. His explanation is that he has made enemies at the school and he is getting the shaft from the boys at the school. I know that it has been noted on his NCOER which will probably keep him from ever making E-8, but he is what he is.

He has approximately 400 jumps by now, so he isn't exactly a novice.

Allan

That system doesn't sound fair thumbdown.gif Then again I don't know him.

Thanks for both replies!

I don' know what the Regs are now but in the 50's and 60's you could qualify for Senior or Master Jump Wings with out attending a Jump Master course. You had to meet all requirements as far as total jumps, simulated combat, and night jumps.

I can't remember what the requirements were for Senior Wings but the Master Wings were

65 Jumps

25 Simulated Combat

4 Night Jumps with at least one as Jump Master

You had to be a graduate of a J/M school or serve as J/M on one or more Combat Jumps, or as J/M on 33 or more non-combat jumps.

In the 50's and 60's I served with a lot of Korea and WW2 guys that were authorized to wear Senior or Master Wings, because of a combat jump or the necessary jumps as a J/M.