2nd Pattern Jungle Shirt

M60 Driver

This nice example of a 2nd pattern Jungle shirt was found in a local thrift shop. It is size medium and looks to have been issued but certainly never worn in the field as no indications of patches present, no fading of color, and perhaps only laundered a few times judging from the tags.

post-779-1192834706.jpg

Not bad, I've always found these jungle jackets to be easy pickups since they are generally not well known to the public as say, an M1941 or para jump jacket.

What are these things worth anyway? I saw one a few weeks ago, and you could even see the shadowing where a Special Forces patch & tab had been on the left sleeve. I passed on it, not really having any idea what it was worth.

Not bad, I've always found these jungle jackets to be easy pickups since they are generally not well known to the public as say, an M1941 or para jump jacket.

What are these things worth anyway? I saw one a few weeks ago, and you could even see the shadowing where a Special Forces patch & tab had been on the left sleeve. I passed on it, not really having any idea what it was worth.

I'm a little rusty on prices, but going by recent sales on eBay I would say between $20 to $45. This would be for used, and without insignia. Of course if they are a larger size and would fit a reenactor, they will sell for a higher price.

At one time I was selling to collectors an reenactors in Hong Kong and Japan, and they would pay market prices for smaller sizes.

Jackets with original patches will of course go higher.

If you are coming across these older jackets and they are reasonably priced, I would pick them up. If nothing else they can be good material for a future trade. Same with ERDL items.

BTW... one way to estimate prices in general is to search eBay for "completed items." This will show you actual prices obtained in the last 30 days. Sometimes even these prices can be either higher or lower than a true market average, but it will give you some idea of things are going for.

Laury Allison
I'm a little rusty on prices, but going by recent sales on eBay I would say between $20 to $45. This would be for used, and without insignia. Of course if they are a larger size and would fit a reenactor, they will sell for a higher price.

At one time I was selling to collectors an reenactors in Hong Kong and Japan, and they would pay market prices for smaller sizes.

Jackets with original patches will of course go higher.

If you are coming across these older jackets and they are reasonably priced, I would pick them up. If nothing else they can be good material for a future trade. Same with ERDL items.

BTW... one way to estimate prices in general is to search eBay for "completed items." This will show you actual prices obtained in the last 30 days. Sometimes even these prices can be either higher or lower than a true market average, but it will give you some idea of things are going for.

I sold a small size one earlier this year on Ebay for $100. It was in mint-condition, the main thing hurting it was the small size. It went to Hong Kong or Japan one, I don't remember right off-hand. I asked Bill Brooks at a military show about the value of it before I posted it and that's what he told me it was worth....that's what it brought too.

The 2nd Pattern Jungle Fatigues are probably rarer than the 1st Pattern ones as they were only used for a very short period of time....less than a year as I recall.

Laury

Since I got this shirt for a pittance at the thrift store, I have put it into my retirement collection as I believe this item will appreciate in value between now and when I will be in more need of the funds. I think this shirt might go for about $40 on Ebay due to its very good condition and because it is bigger than a small size. On a very good day, two Japanese collectors could drive the price up closer to $100. But I think that in the not too distant future, all really good condition Vietnam era items will see the same appreciation in value that we have seen in WWII item values and now is a good time to buy when the opportunity strikes.