Question for Chevron Collectors

gwb123

Anybody want to take a shot at this?

In an antique store today I saw an embroidered piece that was about 3 foot by 3 foot, or slightly bigger. Like a quilt, it was divided into panels.

Half of the panels had what I believe were pre-WWI chevrons, what we today would consider to be E-6 Staff sergeant rank... three stripes and a rocker. They all had specialty markers like engineer, baker or cook, and a flaming bomb (Ordnance? Artillery?). There were eleven of them, some blue and some khaki.

The other panels were made up of rows of what I would think would be the material used for service strips in different colors.

While there was mothing to the larger panels, the mothing to the chevrons was minimal. As the dealer noted, the moths prefered the khaki chevrons to the blue ones.

His tagged price was $285, which would work out to be $26 per chevron.

Judging by his store, I doubt he will negotiate.

What do these chevrons generally go for? Is this worth picking up?

Of course, then the question comes of whether to break it up or try to sell it as one piece.

I could not get a photo... we just weren't that friendly. Any thoughts?

All I can say is that you better be correct that they are what you think they are before you buy!

-Ski

Yeah, I am not sure if they are pre-WWI or if they are WWI...

Bannermans put these together way back when to better market the vast quantities of surplus U.S. cloth insignia they bought from the Gov't. Most I have seen contain the run-of-the-mill (i.e., not rare) early 1900's style insignia. Very often, these are bordered in medal ribbon of the era.

If you're looking to flip it for a profit, $285 isn't the price to do so. (not even close)

Kurt