NORMANDY PHOTOS JUNE 2011.

A real Marauder:

post-24355-0-92210100-1395934466.jpg

82nd airborne:

Here's a rather large storage, used to park Zeppelins back in wwI, used by the Allies in wwII. There's a little museum next to it with some interesting stuff.

post-24355-0-42141900-1395934463.jpg

The helmet is 82nd airborne.

Relics of a Messerschmitt that crashed somewhere near Adouville:

Then there's Pointe du Hoc (where the Rangers had to take out some guns):
post-24355-0-68832200-1395934729.jpg

(This bunker can be spotted in 'The Longest Day')

post-24355-0-89446200-1395934727.jpg]

Impact of navy or air force artillery:
post-24355-0-74614200-1395934822.jpg

Some visitors parked their coolest bikes ever (Wehrmacht):
post-24355-0-86201700-1395934726.jpg
post-24355-0-27233900-1395934723.jpg

Some shots taken @ the cemetery @ Colleville:

Omaha beach:

This quote just makes you think...

Magnificent point of view:

This is one of the bunkers of the Azzeville battery (in the vicinity of Ste-Mère-Eglise):
The battery itself is worth visiting. The Germans built some underground constructions there in which you can walk through yourself. One bunker is camouflaged as a house. Very confusing.

That takes us to the museum in Ste-Mère-Eglise:

post-24355-0-07572200-1395934930.jpg

To be continued (soon)

Some of the coolest mannequins in the museum:

post-24355-0-42810000-1395935049.jpg

Nice museum but a lot of reproduction stuff though..

And we've all seen this one...

This truck was parked in front of the church:
post-24355-0-16141600-1395935043.jpg

Arromanches, gold beach (British sector):

Remains of the artificial Gooseberry bridges:
post-24355-0-08768900-1395935176.jpg

Utah beach:

Memorial between the Utah beach museum and Coudeville, this is were general Leclerc landed:

An excellent selection of pics. It's remarkable how we all seem to stand on pretty much the same spots to take them...yours are almost interchangeable with many of mine!

Hey Ken,
I Just stumbled across this Topic there now sorry about the delay!

Wow: Thank You for adding to this topic if you have more please don't be afraid to add to it ;)
Outstanding Photos there you have taking and thanks again, Your Excellent with a Camera thats for sure great shots taken there
on your behalf it sure is amazing that we stood in the exact same place as each other many times with the camera going by some of the photos.

The reason i said i would start this topic up is for our American Forum Friends that cant make it across to Normandy
so that they can View most of Normandy from these Photos we have added to here thats why i added so many of them photos.

And thanks to you also its really appricated on this side for sure my friend Thank You :thumbsup:

Best Regards
Tomás.

An excellent selection of pics. It's remarkable how we all seem to stand on pretty much the same spots to take them...yours are almost interchangeable with many of mine!

Hey Ian,

Thanks it sure is amazing to think we have all more the less being in the exact same standing places

at different times of course, As each other when taking the shots you are 100% correct there :thumbsup:

Regards

Tomás.

• 9 months later...
Sandlapper

I had the privilege to visit Normandy in 2009 for the 65th Anniversary. It was one of the greatest experiences in my life. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

I had the privilege to visit Normandy in 2009 for the 65th Anniversary. It was one of the greatest experiences in my life. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Thank's for your Kind Comments its muchly appricated on this side of the pond!

Its always nice to be able to share Photos of what Normandy looks like for our Members in the U.S

+ World Wide, That havent been able yet to make it over here to Europe to Visit the Battle Fields :thumbsup:

I've gone through the thread twice.....you've done a wonderful job!

Thank's JS, For your kind words my friend :thumbsup:

I might just add some more from this June 2012 when i was out there for Two Week's, when i get a chance to up load them i will.

Regards

Tomás.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There were actually two troopers that hit the church. John Steele was caught on the one corner, as the dummy that hangs there shows. But the other trooper isn't well known. His name: Ken Russell.

Tim

www.ww2dday.com

I met Robert Wright over there several years ago. He's been returning almost every year since the 60th anniversary, as I believe. And has always attended the ceremonies at the church. Also, the young boy he patched up has been returning. No longer a young boy!

Tim

www.ww2dday.com

Hi,

I was in Normandy (Ste-Marie-du-Mont, sector Utah beach) last July, visited a lot of the places that 1944 visited as well.
I took a lot of the same pictures as you, Tomas.

Well, here's a little addition to them anyways. Enjoy.

I came across this little church by accident @ Angoville (drop zone D). Two medics set up an aid station here in the night of June 6 1944.
Their names: Robert Wright and Kenneth Moore. 2nd batallion, 501st, 101st airborne division.

They named the place 'place Toccoa' (after the camp in Georgia, United States).

The church is one of the oldest in the region and suffered a lot of damage on D-day and the days that followed. The windows were blown out by Kraut artillery and another shell hit the roof.
As for what I remember Kenneth and Robert treated 50+ troopers here, plus a kid. Three troopers wouldn't survive.

One other interesting thing: two Germans hid in the church tower for two days, the Americans were not aware of it until the two Krauts popped up out of nowhere and started shooting at the troopers inside. The two Germans were killed eventually.

Interesting church with a lot of history!The astounding thing about all this: there's still American blood sticking to the church's benches, it just dried up.

I'll post the other pictures in the next few days.
Cheers

Actually Ken Russell was a good friend of mine. And we certainly tell his story and that of Johnny Wray every time we are in Normandy.

Jake Powers

www.bandofbrotherstours.com

www.heroesinourmidst.net

• 7 months later...