D-Day M1 Vet

Theorywolf

There are actually probably more Navy D-day helmets around than Army. Those in the Army tended to inland and get shot, etc. Those Army folks that stayed ont hebeach were eventually supposed to tunr int heir gear when msutered out.

But the Navy had a glitch in the system that just about any man who went ahsore could claim his stuff was "lost in combat" and get a whole new issue no questions asked. And a lot of them ended up going back to the USA after pulled from Normandy to be sent to Training in Calif for the pacific, so many of them have told me they basically left everything at home when they got a short furlough, then showed up at the base- claimed "oh my helmet/boots/web gear/ whatever was lost in combat in Normandy, and got a new issue.

I think it is a true story. Also, some officers could take home lots of stuff. I have the top-secret documents, after-battle reports, assault drawings of the beaches, etc. from the skipper of the Landing Craft Gun (Large) 687, which was up front firing on german positions at Fox Green Beach before the first wave of 1st infantry hit the beach! He brought all that home. He gave it all to me for doing research on the LCGLs and locating some of his ship crew! Happy we collectors get it before it is thrown in the trash can!

Mike

post-576-1193288108.jpg

post-576-1193288304.jpg

Wow Mike, your stuff is very impressive! How I missed that one on eBay is beyond me dunno.gif , I'm always scouring for misidentified helmets. Good heads up on your part, can't think of a better collector for this one to go to! twothumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the helmet of William Franklin Burns. His Service Record arrived today! Here is his record:

Mr. Burns entered the Navy Construction Battalion (Seabees) on the 24th of Aug. 1943. He was at Camp Thomas, Davisville, R.I., from March, 1944 till the 3rd of April 1944. He was in Europe training with the 28th USN Construction Battalion from 3rd of April to the 1st of May, 1944. He became a part of the CB 1006 Detachment from May 1st till July 20th, 1944. The CB 1006 was responsible for the building and operation of the sunken causeways, 2 at Omaha Beach and two at Utah. I don't have the information as to which beach he worked on--that will come with further research. The 1006 CBs began construction of the causeways on D-Day until they were operational--one at Omaha was operational by June 11 and between then and the 17th of June, almost 8,700 personnel and 3,500 tons of cargo came ashore via the sunken causeway. The second one at Omaha was functioning by the 16th of June. At Utah Beach, one was operational by the 8th of June and the other by the 14th of June. By June 20th, the great storm hit the beaches and much of the work of the CBs was disrupted. Mr. Burns was transferred to the 108th Naval CB on the 20th of July until the 13th of December. I am tracing these units' histories and will provide my information and photos of the Vet in the near future. the 108th was responsible for buidiing the "Mulberry" A section at Omaha Beach. After the storm they also took part in rebuilding parts of Mulberry B section in th British sector. Mr. Burns returned to the United States in Dec. 1944 and was located at several U.S based CB stations until the 1st of November 1945. I am curious to find out if the 108 NCB was involved in the invasion of Southern France? I don't think so at the moment. So this verifies that the helmet of Bill Burns was "there" on D-Day and well after. Most of these guys camped at the large USN camp sites on Omaha and Utah Beach.

Mr. Burns was 35 years old at D-Day and died in 1981 and was a well-respected member of his community in Arkansas. As soon as I get pics of Mr. Burns from his family, I will post them!

Cheers,

Mike

From a little more research, it is my understanding that these guys went ashore a couple of days after D-Day at Omaha and the day after at Utah beach. There were several large CB camp sites ashore and they were harrassed by german artillery and planes straffing and dropping bombs on or near their sites. Most of you may know of the "CB lookout" from the ridge overlooking Foxgreen Beach. They camped in pup tents. Also, I'm almost sure that his longer time with the 108th CB Batt. from JUly 20th thru the 13th of December was working on the larger harbours at Cherbourg and others.

Mike