Fixbayonets!

M7 .50 BMG & M8 Carbine Cleaning Rods.

I found this WWII jointed cleaning rod for the .50 BMG last night and thought it was just too cool to pass up. The rod is unissued and still packed in olive drab waxed paper over cosmoline.

Rob

post-168-1307658286.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2012.gif

I just love it when this kind of stuff is still found in its original packaging. Great find.

Here is an M1 Carbine cleaning rod also in the original packaging and one that been opened.

post-299-1308012320.jpg

post-299-1308012453.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

I just love it when this kind of stuff is still found in its original packaging. Great find.

Here is an M1 Carbine cleaning rod also in the original packaging and one that been opened.

Hey Rambob,

Thanks for posting the M-1 carbine cleaning rod, VERY nice! I agree, I love finding stuff like this in the original packaging, does not show up all that often.

Rob

post-344-1308139233.jpg

post-344-1308139259.jpg

I found this WWII jointed cleaning rod for the .50 BMG last night and thought it was just too cool to pass up. The rod is unissued and still packed in olive drab waxed paper over cosmoline.

Rob

Hi Rob, nice find and good display item, thanks Rambob for showing yours as well, so I'll show you mine :blink::lol:;)

not certain that I have seen any of this model shown on the forum before, unissued ones still in wrappers measuring 51 inches ( 130 cm ) in length, note in the close up that there are two different patterns of handle curved and straight. The rods have two wrappings first one is a cosmoline wrap and then a clean over wrap.

lewis ;)

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Hi Ken,

What do the ends of your rods look like? Do they have a rounded copper tip added? Provisions of a cleaning tag of can you screw a brush on them?

Thanks

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Ken,

What do the ends of your rods look like? Do they have a rounded copper tip added? Provisions of a cleaning tag of can you screw a brush on them?

Thanks

Hi Johan, it has an internal screw thread for brush attachment, also the last couple of inches has an elongated slot for cleaning patch.

ken

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

I remember my Dad complaining that one of the things they were always short on was cleaning rods for their .50 cals when he was a tailgunner in the 8th AAF (he had seen some of the surplus cleaning rods I'd picked up at militaria shows). He said that his crew had just one, that they would all have to share.

post-344-1308139233.jpg

post-344-1308139259.jpg

Hi Rob, nice find and good display item, thanks Rambob for showing yours as well, so I'll show you mine :blink::lol:;)

not certain that I have seen any of this model shown on the forum before, unissued ones still in wrappers measuring 51 inches ( 130 cm ) in length, note in the close up that there are two different patterns of handle curved and straight. The rods have two wrappings first one is a cosmoline wrap and then a clean over wrap.

lewis ;)

A nice addition to this thread Ken, thanks for posting!

Rob

Hello rambob. I recently picked up what I think is a M8 Carbine cleaning rod simiar to yours. The measurements on mine are: 1st section-handle to threaded end-approx 12.75" 2nd section-approx 8.25" to threaded end and the slotted tip is 3" long. The handle on one side of mine is marked A P C O and the reverse is marked J.M.C. It did not come with a case or wrapping. Do you think that I have a M8 since it has the shorter second section? Thanks, Al Hirschler in sweltering Dallas.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.