WWI Chaplain Flag Preservation Problem

M1917Ranger

Does anyone have any suggestions on conserving a WWI Chaplain's flag? It is cotton, and was previously framed in an acid free frame. I contacted Textile Preservation Associates in MD, and have a 2500 plus price on conservation. They do excellent work, but that's big bucks to drop.

I want to put effort into this once since it came out of the trunk of a 1st Division Chaplain personally requested by General Pershing (as verified by Army Chaplains museum records). Don't want to break the bank though.

Any suggestions?

Professional Conservation is very expensive.

What are the condition issues with the flag? What is the problem with the existing frame? If the flag is stable, it can be carefully hand stitched to a cotton or linen backing, framed with Ultra-Violet filtering glass or plexiglass, making sure the glazing does not touch the artifact.

BKW

Thanks for the message. The "existing" frame was dropped by my girlfriend when she was helping me set up the new war room. The 400. UV glass frame job shattered. It was previously directly on the glass though. The flag came through the shatter job ok, but I want to cover it. There are two small moth holes, but not much else. It is very thin as well. I have a 2mb photo of it, but can't seem to reduce size for posting.

Thanks for the advice...

Yes, you found out the problem with glass. It will break, unless the surface of the framed object is friable, like a charcoal drawing, I use plexy to frame with. I’m glad the flag didn’t suffer any damage when it broke. I do have some experience at this type of thing, I am a professional museum technician.

I hope said girlfriend made it up to you!

BKW

The flag came out of a trunk group that the family got rid of. Trunk has his uniform, some paperwork, and the flag - also some other random cloth materials and bags, etc. I researched the Chaplain at the Army Chaplains museum, which sent me a copy of the paper stating Pershing had requested his service.

Said girlfriend felt very bad, and I lied about the cost of the glass and said it was cheap to fix - so besides the glass no real harm done.

Thanks for the advise on the flag - probably just going to get more UV glass and hope it doesn't fall over again.

Chap15 - e-mail me if you want pics - I have some but they are large file size.