USMC 1stSGT Insignia

Ricky Raider

teufelhunde.ret

Seller said: It has wide loose embroidered stripes on a red wool/felt backing and measures 5-3/4" tall x 4-1/4" wide. Each strip measures about 3/4" wide.

Looks right for the pre WW1 era...

__KGrHqEOKjME25VI9RONBN44zuB8U____3.jpg

Ricky Raider

Looks like I might've lucked out on this one. I thought I had post WW1. Thanks a lot! Seems like a good start to the collection! Now I'm just looking for P1912 Dress Blues and EGA's.

Weren't the USMC dress blue chevrons prior to 1922, the large seam-to-seam types? So being pre WW1 wouldn't seem to make sense for a dress blue chevron. I'd say this one dates from the early 20's to whenever rockers were introduced. And possibly it's theater-made. Asian, perhaps?

Nice chevron!

Kurt

Ricky Raider

Ok now I would like to know if its a 1stSGT chevron, what period its from, and if its theater made.

indeed a 1stSgt...not a cloth guy, but I don't think it's theater made. a Nice chevron, however

Weren't the USMC dress blue chevrons prior to 1922, the large seam-to-seam types? So being pre WW1 wouldn't seem to make sense for a dress blue chevron. I'd say this one dates from the early 20's to whenever rockers were introduced.

Agreed. 1stSgt and GySgt got two rockers in 1929, so roughly1922-'29. The few USMC dress chevrons I've seen from around that period were applied yellow lace; embroidery points to theater-made to me but I'm not expert. A nice example from the inter-war period!

Best regards,

Justin B.

indeed a 1stSgt...not a cloth guy, but I don't think it's theater made. a Nice chevron, however

Why not? Based on all other examples of U.S.-made insignia of the period I have seen, the construction is not typical of being U.S.-made. Looks like it could be hand embroidered. U.S.-made embroidered insignia is usually very “tight” and of much higher machine-made quality. U.S. chevrons of the first few decades of the 20th century were typically applied material (felt, twill, or other material), not embroidered.

A reverse photo might provide additional clues.

I really like this chevron. It was a great find. I think the price was rather low because it didn’t conform to the construction of typical USMC chevrons of the period (and collectors just didn’t know what to make of it).

Kurt

Ricky Raider

Alright guys this is what I will catalog. 1stSGT somewhere between pre WW1-20s theatre made. Sound fair?

• 4 weeks later...

not necessarily theater made...England was a large producer of USMC insignia in the 20s and 30s during peace-time, so I'd label it as foreign made, though I'm not personally convinced it was made abroad myself