Odd 1920s/30s Army Officer Dress Hat

Dave

Now here's one I can't figure out... I bought this hat as it was advertised as "odd"... I thought perhaps it was an early senior Chaplain's dress hat, until I got it in hand and then discovered the "AV" embroidered above the eagle!

The hat is of top quality, and was probably incredibly beautiful at one time (still is, just with patina now!) It is named inside to a Major A. Erland Goyette, who from a google search turned out to be a very wealthy industrialist in the 1920s and 30s and who owned an art/antique museum until his death in 1960.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!

Dave

OddHat1.jpg

OddHat2.jpg

Interesting! Can't give you any more info on the hat but his bio was published in the HCCA (horseless Carriage Club of America) gazette. Here is a lik to their website:http://www.hcca.org/ . Maybe you can contact them for a copy.

Gottlieb, Robert Bio. V19-6,p15

Gould, Randall Bio. V42-1,p10

Goyette, Major A. Erland Bio. V 6-3,p 8

GPS, Measuring Distance Art. V63-1,p50

Interesting! Can't give you any more info on the hat but his bio was published in the HCCA (horseless Carriage Club of America) gazette. Here is a lik to their website:http://www.hcca.org/ . Maybe you can contact them for a copy.

Gottlieb, Robert Bio. V19-6,p15

Gould, Randall Bio. V42-1,p10

Goyette, Major A. Erland Bio. V 6-3,p 8

GPS, Measuring Distance Art. V63-1,p50

Arthur Erland Goyette born 3 Oct 1887 -

He ran banks in Peterboro NH, and started a museum or two. A civic newsletter used the honorific title "Major," but he shows up on the draft registration lists for WWI and WWII which would seem to indicate he was not a military officer at those times. I wonder if the hat is from a militaray academy?