HBT jacket 802nd Aviation Engineers Bn.

Dijkhuizen

Hello,

Just received a HBT jacket, olive drab 7 special the fourth pattern dated May 1945. This one has an insignia on the back (see pics) of the 802nd Aviation Engineers Bn. The jacket is shortened as you can see. My opinion is this jacket is used during the Korean war period? I'm I right or is it later.

dsc02424xu0.th.jpg

Front

dsc02425lm7.th.jpg

Back

Regards,

Christian

The 802nd AEB rec'd credit for campaign participation during both WW II (Bismarck Archipelago and Ryukyus) and the Korean War (several). I have no other info and have not googled the unit to see if they served in Occupied Japan.

In any case, WW II equipment and uniforms were worn during the KW. I know the WW II OD wool shirts and pants changed to a different type of wool after the KW, but do not know exactly when. Am not familiar w/ HBT at all.

Based on the 1945 date of issue and the style of patch, it's no later than KW.

Hello Tredhed2,

Thanks for the information I did some "Googling" by myself and that turned nothing up about the WW II period. Maybe their is someone who has more info on this unit ?

Regards,

Hello Tredhed2,

Thanks for the information I did some "Googling" by myself and that turned nothing up about the WW II period. Maybe their is someone who has more info on this unit ?

Regards,

The 802nd Engineer Aviation Bn was in Korea during the war and in 1953 were sent to Japan. And I found this archived history brief from a website no longer online:

Alpha Company of the 802nd Engineer Aviation Battalion, Okinawa, reinforced by assets of other 802nd companies, was the first to arrive in Korea in early July 1950 (the rest of the battalion did not arrive until a year later). Landing by LST at Pohang, they immediately set about rehabilitating the Pohang airfield for use by F-51 fighters of the South African Air Force on 12 Jul 50. They were subsequently driven out of Pohang, redeploying to Pusan after withdrawing their equipment and defending the Pohang base from an advancing North Korean division. Alpha Company went back to Pohang later, but was also used throughout Korea, including tank defensive positions on the MLR (main line of resistance). The company performed above and beyond the call of duty, and received a Distinguished Unit Citation (normally given to battalion-size units and above) from Air Force Lt Gen Stratemeyer, Commander, Far East Air Forces. The citation reads:

"Company “A” of the 802nd Engineer Aviation Battalion is cited for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service during the period 12 July to 26 August 1950. This company was detached from its parent organization and moved to Pohang, Korea, on 12 July 1950, where it was given the mission of repairing and extending the airstrip which was in imminent danger of enemy air and ground attacks. Despite this danger of attack and the hazards of constructing an airstrip while it was in constant use as an advance base, the men of Company “A” of the 802 Engineer Aviation Battalion worked tirelessly to complete their work. Elements of this unit engaged the enemy continuously for one and one half days in defense of the strip. Only when it was surrounded and under full attack was the company evacuated by LST to Pusan, Korea, where it was immediately committed in the construction of the East Pusan airstrip on 14 August 1950. The achievements of Company “A” of the 802nd Engineer Aviation Battalion throughout this period were in keeping with the highest traditions of the service, and reflected great credit upon itself, the Far East Air Forces, and the United States Air Force."