ID on 1860 staff & field officers sword

Wearp

I ran across this sword and am no expert so I wanted to get some opinions. It appears to be stilled after the 1860 staff & field officers model. It seems to be well made and detailed not a cheap copy. I question the maker out of San Fransisco, haven't been able to locate it. Pics are pretty crappy but if it looks like it is possible then I will look into it further. Any ideas from the pics provided.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

If this is marked A. J. Plate & Co. he was located in San Francisco from 1863-1885.

Yes those are the markings on the blade.

I did look in Richard Bezdek's book and Plate is listed as a Sword Dealer, mainly in Society Swords.

ron norman
I ran across this sword and am no expert so I wanted to get some opinions. It appears to be stilled after the 1860 staff & field officers model. It seems to be well made and detailed not a cheap copy. I question the maker out of San Fransisco, haven't been able to locate it. Pics are pretty crappy but if it looks like it is possible then I will look into it further. Any ideas from the pics provided.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Here is the info on A J Plate:

post-1109-1307391104.jpg

hope this helps.

Ron Norman

Here is the info on A J Plate:

post-1109-1307391104.jpg

hope this helps.

Ron Norman

That is what I was looking for. Hopefully I can work out a price on the blade. The seller wasn't sure what he wanted and I needed to do some research before I made an offer. It looks like the real deal so I'll see if I can get it for a decent price. I haven't found any other blades in this style to compare it to.

thanks

• 1 month later...

This is a Model 1860. But less than 1% were made during the Civil War. The grip is a replacement. I bet if you grip the pommel cap and twist , it will unscrew. If so, the sword was made in Germany.

If I saw more of the etching pattern, I may be able to tell you who the importer was.