National World War I Museum

gwb123

HoovieDude

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for posting them, for as sad as it is, I've never been there, and I grew up around KC.

• 2 months later...
This particular tank was hit and disabled by a German shell. Highly unusual for a museum display, parts of the shell and the resulting internal fragments have been preserved and are also on display.

Was this the Renault that used to sit in San Francisco's DeYoung Museum? Cheers, Bill

I hope you have enjoyed this quick look at this special museum, and hope you have the chance to visit on your own. This is only selection of what it has to offer. It is worth the trip.

For more information, please see their website:

http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new/index_community.aspx

Great photos and thanks for inspiring me to visit the museum this Winter. Cheers, Bill

Gil,

I didn't see where you mentioned that the Renault tank had the name of a Soldier from Kansas City scratched in the interior. You are right about the lighting, it is a specific, non UV light that does play havoc with pictures. Take several to get one to come out.

Getting back to the ground troops, the displays showed a full range of equipment ranging from common to rare...

I have been there a couple of times and this is my favorite display. What a great museum, thanks for sharing.

Bob

Bobgee and myself had the opportunity to visit the museum recently and it was outstanding! Great photos thank you. If anyone who has not been has the opportunity to visit this museum, I highly recommend it. This museum has really embraced the concepts and historical context of WWI unlike any other museum I have been to including many in Europe. It is a great experience and I hope everyone reading this has a chance to visit.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

• 5 months later...

January 2012 H.R. 938 - the Frank Buckles World War l Memorial Act. This legislation would help to designate Kansas City's World War l Memorial as the National World War l Memorial. The dedication of this monument in Kansas city was the ONLY occassion when the leading generals of all the allied armies met together. This is a remarkable and monumental museum. This bill is currently in debate. It's only significant opposition is a push to establish an existing monument in Washington DC, one built to honor the 200 or soldiers from DC who died in the war as THE national WWI monument. Simply because it's in Washington... Please let your representatives and senators know your feelings about this. Gary Bachman

(Frank Buckles was the last surviving American eteran of WWI. He died last February.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a visit to this wonderfull museum.The museum is outstanding and the staff were really friendly.I spent about 4 hours there and could have spent another day there.If you have a chance it is well worth a visit. Mark

kyhistorian01

Is there a display representing the Navy in World War One in the museum? I didn't catch it in any of the photos.

Robert

There is a very small section about the war at sea, mostly with non-US items.

I believe in the US part of the exhibit there were a few US Navy uniforms, but they did not photograph very well. Sorry.

BigJohn#3RD

Gil,

Thank you very much for the awesome photo of the National WWI Museum, I guess I too will have to take a trip out that way sometime soon.

Regards,

John

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for sharing your trip back in time, this is a great museum. Thanks again Jim M.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Charlie Flick

I was there this past week. I, too, was favorably impressed by the scope and scale of the Museum. Should not be missed on a visit to KC. Regards, Charlie

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Here is an update from August 2013 featuring a few of the items they have either added, or that I managed to miss the first time around.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/188826-return-to-national-world-war-i-museum-kansas-city/?p=1461048

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the photos Gil! I grew up in the greater KC area and went to Liberty memorial for a couple field trips. As a student, I didn't get the same meaning of what I would today. As an active duty military member and someone who takes great pride in the way our countries history was formed, I wish I would have taken advantage of the those opportunities. I plan on visiting KC in early January and need to plan a trip out there to see it. Sad to hear that the Navy section isn't very large but wouldn't expect it to be very large for WWI or being in the Midwest. Again, thanks for posting the pictures to spike our interests and add to a couple bucket lists.

Thanks for the comments to all.

If you are in the KC area and you have time, the Frontier Army Museum at Fort Leavenworth is another worthy stop if you have an interest in the story of the expansion of the West.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/184726-frontier-army-museum-1800-1916-ft-leavenworth-ks/?hl=frontier

• 5 months later...
27Division18

Thanks for taking the time to share your photos with those of us who may never get to this museum. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Visited the National WW1 Museum for the 1st time this last week and have to say I was impressed. It's very well laid out, and even my wife and 14 year old daughter were impressed! I recommend a ride to the top of the tower (and short walk up the stairs at the top) to get a magnificent view of downtown Kansas City.