1939 VFW Presentation Sword

SARGE

Gentlemen,

Here is a recently acquired Model 1902 Army Officer Sword that was presented to a Veterans of Foreign Wars post in 1939. The sword itself is a standard Army Officer Sword that was produced by Ames as their "Revere" model that was manufactured in the USA.

VFW_sword.JPG

These regulation swords were used by the Veterans of Foreign Wars posts for various ceremonies such as uniformed color guard presentations and funerals. This sword was made by Lilley-Ames in Columbus Ohio and the blade was made in the USA as indicated by the markings. The six sided star mark is a quality marking.

VFW_sword_maker.JPG

Closeup view of the hilt showing the four branch guard and the molded hard rubber grip. The blade is peened to the pommel instead of having a separate threaded tang nut.

VFW_sword_hilt.JPG

This particular sword was presented to the 1001st VFW post in Denver, Colorado by Roland H. Taylor in 1939. It is interesting that this particular sword was presented on the eve of US involvement in the largest foreign war of World War II.

The blade has the standard Ames etch on the reverse with stands of arms and old English letters "U.S." in the center. The obverse has the standard spread wing eagle in the center but also has a custom lettered presentation inscription between the eagle and the hilt.

VFW_blade_presentation.JPG

The etching reads: "Presented To Sojourners Post No 1001, VFW of U. S. By Roland H. Taylor 1939." Here is a closeup of the first half of the presentation.

VFW_blade_presentation_1.JPG

Here is a closeup of the second half of the presentation inscription.

VFW_blade_presentation_2.JPG

Any information on the Sojourners Post #1001 in Denver would be appreciated. And, who was Roland H. Taylor?

Thanks Varangian. I was very happy to find it. :D

I think these presentation 1902 Army Officer swords can still be found that are good values. Most people tend to overlook them because they think of them as a common US sword but I always pull them out of their scabbards at gun and militaria shows to see the blades. I see very few VFW marked swords, probably because they are still in use or in storage in the VFW halls. Of course few were marked and even fewer bear presentation inscriptions.