"HUGE" Air Depot Yard Long +12" and Certificate

zepher11

I just finished building a frame for a panoramic picture of the 94th Depot Repair Squadron, 23rd Air Depot Group "1944." The photo is every bit of 48 inches! I also have the completion certificate for Pvt. Harold R. Mueller indicating that he is now a Parachute Rigger and Repairman.” He's in the picture somewhere, but I'm not sure which one he is. I really like that most of the men in the photo have the Army Air Force SSI on their shoulder.

I made the frame from 1½" x ½"”MDF molding. I set it on end so that it sits out from the wall with the ½" side surrounding the photo. Total to complete the picture was $15 for the glass, $5.00 for the MDF and $3.55 for the late addition of four brass corner brackets and some all thread to keep the frame from spreading due to the length of the piece. There was almost a disaster as I picked up the finished product by the frame and whole thing spread out and almost dumped the glass. Whew! I had some gloss black enamel paint lying around to finish off the frame It is nice and shiny.

I did buy some matting material for $20 and a mat cutter for $25. However, I figured I would be making more in the future. It was my first try at cutting the mat with the bevel. I took my time and with the exception of my very first cut, the bevels all came out nice. If I don't count the mat cutter and the minimal about of matting that I used the total to build was right about $25. I don't know what a frame shop would charge to do this. I knew enough to know I didn't want to know!

The final project is huge. 11" high x 56" long with the certificate. I just thought it would be worth the extra work to fit the certificate in there somehow.

Here are some photos. Check his class start date on the certificate: June 5, 1944...67 years ago today! I bet not too much was completed in class the second day! Hopefully my photos will come out well here:

post-24058-1307307168.jpg

The back of frame with the all thread bolted through to hold this bad boy together!:

post-24058-1307307451.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

very nice indeed, you do great work. i need displays for my 1000+ patch collection, i'm putting my order in now as to beat the rush. when do you think you can have them done? :D

very nice indeed, you do great work. i need displays for my 1000+ patch collection, i'm putting my order in now as to beat the rush. when do you think you can have them done? :D

Thanks for the compliment and my first order! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, my wife is always nearby intimating that I could be using my "free time" to complete a number of projects on her list... :pinch:

Actually, I have a number of patches that I am trying to figure out how to display. I think that little "chore" will be my next project.

JD