The Rangers were here...67 years ago!

Sabrejet

One of the most impressive feats of arms on a day when there were many took place at Pointe Du Hoc, a rocky promontory upon which were German casemates which contained big guns which, it was feared, could wreak havoc on the adjacent landing beaches. The US Rangers were charged with taking this position and knocking out the guns. The rest...as they say...is history! Today, the site is undergoing extensive building work to stabilise the crumbling cliffs, so access is restricted. Nevertheless, it's still awe-inspiring to think that men actually scaled those cliffs, under fire, and achieved their objective. Traces of the German positions still remain and the landscape is pitted with craters from the 1000s of allied bombs which fell upon it in the run-up to D-Day. Unfortunately, access to the Ranger Memorial is restricted due to the stabilisation work.

post-8022-1307270628.jpgpost-8022-1307270613.jpg

Nice tour. Thanks.

Thanks...glad you found it of interest.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Thanks...glad you found it of interest.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Great shots Ian! They bring back great memories from my 1997 trip there.

post-3043-1307279508.jpg

post-3043-1307279513.jpg

Nice then/nows Ski! It's a pity that key areas are out of bounds now due to heath and safety considerations. Hopefully, when the stabilisation work is complete they'll be accessible again?

Ian

Jack's Son

Great pictures. The views give a good footing for ones imagination of the events that took place there.

Nice to know that the site is being preserved as best it can be. Is there access to the beach area as well??

Great pictures. The views give a good footing for ones imagination of the events that took place there.

Nice to know that the site is being preserved as best it can be. Is there access to the beach area as well??

Unfortunately not JS, due to the crumbling cliffs and inherent danger of falling rocks etc. The speed of coastal errosion is quite alarming really. Without the stabilisation work, the most forward bunkers which support the memorial would end up in the Channel!

Ian

Robswashashore

Ian, that reminds me that it is time to unlimber The Longest Day dvd...

Someday, I hope to see all this in person!

Ian, that reminds me that it is time to unlimber The Longest Day dvd...

Someday, I hope to see all this in person!

The recreation in "The Longest Day" was actually filmed at Pointe du Hoc. A little tame by today's standards ( imagine if it had the Speilberg/ SPR treatment!) but not at all bad, nevertheless.

Ian

It sure is overwhelming standing there among the craters, destroyed bunkers, etc.

When I was there (three times), one still had access to the observation post and in there you had a great view over the Channel.

I sure want to go back and see how much has changed over the years.

Erwin

ClaptonIsGod

Wow, they're still working on the cliff? I guess it's a long-term, ongoing project. I was there back in March '10 and got caught in a flash rainstorm, those tunnels provided nice shelter and kept me from getting a cold! :lol:

I don't know how I missed this thread. Thanks so much for the pictures! It must be amazing to see this in person.

....Kat

Thanks all. It really is mind-boggling to think what those guys actually did on that day. To say they possessed "the right stuff" would be an understatement! I salute them. :salute:

Ian