Captain Shoulder Board w/ Early EGA

Brig

Posting this for an associate. He has the other board, but it is missing the emblem. Another beautiful example as discussed here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11607

I dare not remove the emblem, as 2 pins appear to be broken, but you can see it is hollow backed and very finely crafted...

An image of the box...

101_0618.JPG

the pad in the top lid is loose, so I figured I'd take the chance to show you how the pads were constructed...

101_0621.JPG

the underside of the board, a Horstmann piece designated for the right shoulder...

101_0629.JPG

normaninvasion

Now that is impressive! Great condition. Would Horstman provide the ega or was it typically purchased seperate?

teufelhunde.ret
Now that is impressive! Great condition. Would Horstman provide the ega or was it typically purchased seperate?

Good question, as we often refer to the emblems of the era as Jeweler made. This one is nearly identical to many others that have appeared here. Begs the question did Horstmann have a Jeweler on staff for such items or did they sub-out this type of work?

In any case a wonderful example and thx for the post Brig.

Brig - Great pics & post. Lovely jeweler-quality bird....I'm thinking 1880s.......Maybe earlier. Perhaps the "Horstmann Bros & Allen New York" logo might pinpoint a date as "Horstmann" is most often associated with Philadelphia.

Semper Fi....Bob

usmcaviator

I believe that Horstmann mark goes back to the 1860's. It also looks like there are holes where the hunting horn insignia once was. If this Marine was a Captain, say in the 1880's, he could have easily been commissioned during the Civil War up to 1868 when the horn was in use. I bought a set from Williams Relics in the box that was missing the hunting horns with the same mark.

Believe that EGA to be made by Breuniger, all hand done, which leads all of these early pieces to be one of a kind, and nearly impossible to match. I bought a similar set from Bob (Forum Support) that I think the funds went to buy him a new car!

S/F,

Mike

I did find remnants of the lid having been named at one point. A few letters, maybe enough to match. Anyone have an officer register pre-Span-Am?

usmcaviator
I did find remnants of the lid having been named at one point. A few letters, maybe enough to match. Anyone have an officer register pre-Span-Am?

Brig,

I have 1870's and 1880's registers, let me know if I can help.

Mike

thanks guys, have received lots of messages with offers to help. Have a few possible names, going to have to reexamine it. There wasn't much to work with, but considering the low number of officers in those days, worth a peek