Got this nice WWII USN First Aid kit from EPay

rambob

I recently got this pretty nice from EPay USN First Aid Kit full of various contents. Short and sweet I have a few questions about this kit for all of the brainiacs out there in forum land. Do you think this is a life raft first aid kit, a USN Aviation first aid kit or something else? Depending on what the kit is, does anyone have a complete list of contents for it as I would like to try and complete the kit. Some kind of official content list would be nice. BTW. It came with a small xeroxed content list, but I don't really have a clue how accurate or from what era it is.

Bob

post-299-1307194034.jpg

GeneralCheese

Now, I know NOTHING about medic kits, but if I were to take a shot at this, I would say life raft medical kit because of the color and the way the supplies are packaged. The uniform shape boxes show that this needed to keep space saved, and keeping space saved on a life raft is key.

Sorta surprised that this post hasn't generated more interest from the forum. No matter, here is an official content list for the Pneumatic Life Raft First Aid Kit from my Med 6 catalog. The only problem is that the contents don't nearly fill the metal box as I have already tried them in the box. So I think it is used for some other USN First Aid kit function, maybe a life boat.

Still looking for comments. Don't be shy!

Bob

post-299-1307486689.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is a very nice kit Bob. I don't see a handle. Does it have any method of attaching it to a bulk head on the back? Kind of unusual not to have either a handle or method of attachment.

Sorry Craig that I did not take a picture of the back of the box. Here it is and you are correct in that the box has a folding handle and hangers.

post-299-1307496133.jpg

I can't help with a definite contents list but I'll throw in what I know or think I know. I have a later version of this kit. Its identical but the printing on the lid is less ornate. Under the lid are just basic first aid instructions and no inventory. It may be a raft kit for larger rafts or life boats. I was "told" years ago these were mounted in combat areas of the ship like gun mounts. I cannot confirm that. I doubt it is an aircraft kit as I have a couple different types that are marked for aircraft. But I can't confirm that either. I cannot find my kit so I can only give you a partial inventory list of what was in mine. It may not have had the same contents as yours. Its only from memory so if my kit turns up I will update you.....

Tourniquet in single box

Six syrettes with Iodine

Sulfadiazine

Sulfanilamide

Tannic Acid or Boric Acid

Triangular bandage

Battle dressing (Two Space box)

either 2 Four inch compresses or one 4" compress and box of 2" compresses

Might be short a box but I can't recall what is missing.

Looks like a shipboard item as suggested above. Mounted on bulkheads at various locations. I don't think it would be used on life rafts because it looks like it would sink like a stone if dropped overboard.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but the reason your kit doesn't match the list in the Med 6 catalog is because the Med 6 is an Army publication and your kit is Navy.

Ronnie, YES, the box was full and here is the photo of the contents. BTW. I was able to get the contents out of the small, inner box without breaking the tax seal.

post-299-0-83743200-1464043881.jpg