Marine Corps VN, MACG-18 patch

LuftStalg1

LuftStalg1

Marine Corps VN, MACG-18 patch:

This is a patch I though some of you might enjoy. I found it illustrated in “Disney dons Dog tags”, mistakenly as I got it from the member of the unit that had them made back in Vietnam. He said he only had 20 or 30 of them made for the guys and I have not seen another other then in this book. I bought it many years ago just because I thought it was cool looking. I need to call him and get the full story again before it’s too late!

Here is the unit history I found on-line:

MACG-18 was formed 1 September 1967 in DaNang, Vietnam, at the height of US participation in the Vietnam Conflict. At that time the Group's component units were already deeply involved in combat, and its Hawk battalion was among the first US Marine units to land in Vietnam. From the very time of its formation, MACG-18 and it subordinated units with attachments scattered throughout the I Corps Tactical Zone, participated in every major campaign conducted in the northern area of South Vietnam until its departure from Vietnam. In recognition of their accomplishments during the Vietnam Conflict, MACG-18 and its units were awarded four Presidential Unit Citations, three Navy Unit Commendations and Meritorious Commendation. The Group moved from Vietnam to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan in 1971, and was displaced again to Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, Okinawa, Japan, in 1975. Since the end of the war in Vietnam, MACG-18 has assumed a major role in joint, combined and Marine air-ground training and contingency operation in the Western Pacific.

post-15093-1307140205.jpg