James Arness, actor, WWII vet

67Rally

James Arness (Aurness) of Gunsmoke has passed. Yet another Hollywood great who served on the field of battle (was wounded at Anzio and awarded the PHM) has left us at the age of 88.

Arness served as a rifleman with the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division, and was severely wounded during Operation Shingle, at Anzio, Italy (note).

As these legends pass, it makes me ponder how many actors today have ever considered serving their country let alone actually doing it.

BILL THE PATCH

one of the greats! a true hero, and very modest about it. i seen a interview once and he was asked about his service during the war, i was doing what most other americans were doing during the war, or something to that affect. R.I.P.

Military service in World War II

Arness wanted to be a naval fighter pilot, but he felt his poor eyesight would bar him. His height of 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m) ended his hopes, since 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m) was the limit for aviators. Instead, he was called for the Army and reported to Fort Snelling, Minnesota in March 1943.

Arness served as a rifleman with the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division, and was severely wounded during Operation Shingle, at Anzio, Italy.

According to James Arness – An Autobiography, he landed on Anzio Beachhead on January 21, 1944 as a rifleman with 2nd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. Due to his height, he was the first ordered off his landing craft to determine the depth of the water; it came up to his waist.

On January 29, 1945, having undergone surgery several times, Arness was honorably discharged. His wounds bothered him ever since, and in later years Arness suffered from acute leg pain, which even prevented him from mounting a horse. He underwent a series of operations to remove bullet fragments that had fused into the bone.

His decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart;[1] the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars, the World War II Victory Medal and the Combat Infantryman Badge.

James Arness who portrayed Marshall Matt Dillon for 20 years on the TV series, "Gunsmoke", passed away today. He was a WWI US Army infantry veteran who was wounded in action in Italy. Another member of the Greatest Generation is gone. RIP Marshall Dillon.

I hate to hear this. He was a topic at my Mom's the other day when we were talking about old TV shows.

I always remember him as the monster in The Thing.

RIP Marshal Dillon.

Chunky Monkey

Sad to hear it also. I luv to watch Gunsmoke. I just learned last night that he was also in Battleground. He played Garbo (i believe that was it). In the beginning it lists him as Jim Arness not James.

RIP :salute: