Mike Force Tigerstripe - A200

River Patrol

River Patrol

A200 Mike Force Camp is not registered in the Vietnam Order of Battle, but it did exist. This tiger came from a veteran that was there as an Mike Force advisor. Late war, light weight, marked in the collar US M (but too faded to photograph), all in country machine embroidered tapes and scroll. I've never seen the Camp number as a tape before. This was originally procured directly from the vet by Scott Kraska (BayState Militaria). At the time, I couldn't get it, and had to watch go to another collector. Thankfully it came up to auction a few months ago, and I was more prepared to 'buy it now'. Enjoy!!

A200_Mike_force_tigerstripe.jpg

River Patrol

The other kool part of this set (it came with other items including a CISO backpack, maps, etc.) is that I have a picture of the original owner wearing this very tigerstripe in Vietnam. Match the stripes.....

A200_tiger.jpg

The other kool part of this set (it came with other items including a CISO backpack, maps, etc.) is that I have a picture of the original owner wearing this very tigerstripe in Vietnam. Match the stripes.....

Steve, it is really hard to beat that! Photographs of uniforms in wear are really rare. glad you got that one!

Very cool, and even better to have the photo! That solves those pesky "is it authentic questions right up front!" What is the scroll on the left shoulder?

River Patrol

I knew you would like this one Mike!

Gil, the scroll on the shoulder is a VN Recon.

Corpsmancollector

Great shirt Steve, the camp tape is really interesting. Incredible to have an accompanying photo of the shirt worn in country too.

I like the background for your photo, almost looks like it was taken in SEA!

Will

• 4 weeks later...
Corpsmancollector
Stunning .

something I would strive for in my collection .

owen

Good to see you back on here Owen!

Will

River Patrol
I like the background for your photo, almost looks like it was taken in SEA!

Will

Will, I guess it is overgrown in the back yard, but I never thought it would get as thick as SEA. My wife liked that comment (now I gotta mow it)!

OWEN.....excellent to hear from you! I'm glad you like!

I'm glad everyone else enjoyed it as well.

For me, it is the pinnacle of my tigerstripe collection.

Steve

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are about a dozen old time SF from 46th Company, Mike Force, Projects, White Star, and actual A-Teams anxiously awaiting information regarding existence and location of A-200.

That number does not compute.

Anything with designation 2 would be from c-2

In 1967, 2 Corps Nike Force was designated B-20 and subordinates were A-201 and A-202 though they were not actual A-Teams.

I ran this by a bunch of old timers on a SF forum.

Guys from old 10th, White Star, A Teams, Mike Force and Projects. All time periods.

Nobody can ID an A200. The tag is unknown by guys who ought to know. It is something not recognized.

Poster did say he would expound on this.

2 Corps SF organizations have a 2 prefix, from C2 down to A 322, etc.

2 Corps mike force went to that designation in 1967 and had A 201 and 202.

Not actual A teams, but formations in the fashion of conventional units with SF NCOs as company commanders, XOs, Platoon Leaders, etc.

The troops were a form of CIDG.

The guy in the pic is probably known by one of us or listed in Sherman's work.

We are interested in these things and discuss them and people involved at great length.

We would just like to know what A 200 is. Mike force was not organized into things like "Mike Force Camp A200."

That is a forgiveable error.

Im curious as well.

The shirt has a name tag and also a tab or scroll on left shoulder.I understand not wanting to post or show name/name tape publicly but a simple private message about the name would shed a lot of light on the unit and would clear up what A200 is.The name would not have to be given outside of a private message to those who know the individual.Linking the name to a published list or former team mates then it could be stated that A200 was located at areaXXX,operated etc.

We have a lot of veterans here willing to help and its pretty simple to contact them and they are generally willing to help and share the knowlegde they have.

There is a good discussion going on here, and some good information being added that may provide an answer as to what A200 was.

However, everyone is reminded to keep the conversation civil.

I use to own that grouping and know the veteran in the photo. When I received the tiger shirt plus several other items such as his beret, cidg ruck, maps, personal photos and several emails. In the emails the veteran tells me about A-200. I still have a few items named to this veteran and I will try to dig out his emails and his photos to help shed some light on A-200

I asked RADIX about it and he's looking into the A200 angle. As SFMike said and RADIX confirmed, there is no A200. Maybe the tape and designation were made by the team for whatever reason, perhaps an inside joke or a self made designation.

If there is another explanation for A200 it would be good historical info to have.

• 4 weeks later...
River Patrol

I think I have A200 camp information in a book entitled "Where we were" ....or something like that. It's been a long time since I've pulled that book out but I'll try to find that info.

River Patrol

Swamper, What did the veteran tell you about A200? Please share....

River Patrol

I have looked through several emails and Xerox copied emails, that Pete sent to me. The best I can remember is that A200 had to do with them being assigned to a Mike Force, but it soon changed to another name. A200 was very shortly lived. I did find several pics Pete sent me when he was assigned to A200. These pics showed several other of his sf teammates and he gave a description and names of each photo. There was also a pic of him and sf buddies sitting in the team bar and you can clearly see several 4th mobile strike force plaques hanging on the wall.