FITTING A LINER

sharpsshooter

sharpsshooter

I have a few m1 helmets. Some liners fit loose. Is there a way to make them fit snug with out having to exchange them? How is the proper way to fit a liner to ones head? I know that the first step is to take the sweat band out and fit it to your forehead. I have aleady done this to all bands. On some when I put the liner on it still fits loose so I tried to adjust the webbing tightness but it still fits loose.

I have a few m1 helmets. Some liners fit loose. Is there a way to make them fit snug with out having to exchange them? How is the proper way to fit a liner to ones head? I know that the first step is to take the sweat band out and fit it to your forehead. I have aleady done this to all bands. On some when I put the liner on it still fits loose so I tried to adjust the webbing tightness but it still fits loose.

What style or styles of M1 helmet liners are you referring to? Each helmet configuration had differing ways of adjusting their fit (to a point), so if you provide some additional details it will make it easier for board members to get you the information you need. Fit will also depends on if the necessary liner parts are present, especially the nape strape (the type of which differs from different generation of M1 helmet liners).

thanks,

Jay

The easiest way to secure a liner which rattles about a bit in the shell is to add a camo net or cover, if appropriate? The sandwiching of it between the liner/shell normally does the trick. Re the fit on your head...trial and error. As you said, first fit the sweatband around to your head for a snug fit. Then, after you've clipped it in place, adjust the lace at the crown (or the buckles on VN era helmets) in order to get the correct depth on your head. Remember, WW2 nape straps were sized, unless you happen to have a later adjustable one? VN and later shells have the t-strap which you'll need to tension to your own requirements via the three small buckles. I've got some used WW2 liners in which the cotton suspension parts have evidently stretched a little with age and use...there's no way those will ever fit properly again (nor would I even try!)

Sabrejet

PS. Another thought occurred to me. Euro-clone M1 shells are made to slightly different tolerances. Are you 100% sure that yours are GI?

Captainofthe7th

Put some toilet paper between the shell and the liner. Not only accurate but it adds a buffer between the two.

For the sweatband, at least on my reenacting helmet, I have the back two clips attached to where the nape strap usually goes. This was a typical GI modification and the helmet rides much more comfortably.

Rob

sharpsshooter
Put some toilet paper between the shell and the liner. Not only accurate but it adds a buffer between the two.

For the sweatband, at least on my reenacting helmet, I have the back two clips attached to where the nape strap usually goes. This was a typical GI modification and the helmet rides much more comfortably.

Rob

I tried the method of putting the band at the nape location and it did fit better. I looked at other helmet posts on the forum and on EBAY but have not seen this method.

hbtcoveralls
I tried the method of putting the band at the nape location and it did fit better. I looked at other helmet posts on the forum and on EBAY but have not seen this method.

MY re-enacting helmet of choice had the sweatband on the nape strap when I got it many years ago, and still does. It fits great. Remember that M-1 helmets only came in one size and that if your head is small, it probably will rattle around in there somewhat. Another GI trick it to put a pair of GI socks into the space between the liner and the webbing, again as a pad and to keep your spare socks dry. If still too loose for your comfort, consider wearing a 1941 "Jeep Cap" with your helmet, it is GI and will make your helmet fit better, but might not work in really hot weather.

Tom Bowers

sharpsshooter
What style or styles of M1 helmet liners are you referring to? Each helmet configuration had differing ways of adjusting their fit (to a point), so if you provide some additional details it will make it easier for board members to get you the information you need. Fit will also depends on if the necessary liner parts are present, especially the nape strape (the type of which differs from different generation of M1 helmet liners).

thanks,

Jay

I can adjust the NAM era liners to fit good, but some of the WW2 and KOREAN era liners are the ones I have trouble with.

Captainofthe7th

Also, don't be afraid to put your sweatband in all screwy. If I put a sweatband in my helmet 'by the book' the whole helmet sits off center. Of course GIs wore them like this but if you want to center your helmet, experiment with different locations to put the sweatband. Here's what mine looks like. It looks funny but it's comfortable, doesn't wiggle, and sits perfectly.

DSCF5337.jpg

Plus now you know it's yours and if anyone else tries to wear it around...it just won't be comfortable for them.

Rob

Ive handled several surplus helmet sets and some had duck tape inside the steel shells on the sides to help grip the liner so it doesnt slip out easy, and some had a piece of foam rubber taped inside to grip the liner and keep everything together