Lets see Your War Room Posters

davekj

Here's one my dad gave me. He said these were handed out after he graduated from "gunners school" in 1944. Kim

GREAT poster Kim !!!

I Thank You for posting it !!!

bjde9w.jpg

Hi teufelhund !!!

Great collection !!! I do not have room at this time for a proper display but When I get back to working on my new room I should be able to put up about 25 posters .

Hi Kevin !!!

If you run across those posters it would be GREAT to see a couple from the 70's and 80's if possible !!!

Hi Erwin !!!

Wish I did have a few armor posters to show come to think of it I may . If I do I will post it for you .

Dave

This is one I got from my Dad. It's been professionally framed and is quite heavy. The poster was pasted to a piece of fiber board looking stuff, probably for a store front display, and instead of risking tears it was framed backing and all.

Sorry about the flash. We are actually getting our first snow of the year today here in Denver, so it's a little gloomy outside.

post-78-1192978654.jpg

This is one I got from my Dad. It's been professionally framed and is quite heavy. The poster was pasted to a piece of fiber board looking stuff, probably for a store front display, and instead of risking tears it was framed backing and all.

Sorry about the flash. We are actually getting our first snow of the year today here in Denver, so it's a little gloomy outside.

post-78-1192978654.jpg

Great Poster Jim !!!

During WWII they would mount some posters on a backing of some type for as you said store fronts and sometimes there would be a poster on both sides for a side walk frame . I Thank You for posting Your poster !!!!

Erwin

It was a NEWSMAP that I was thinking of it was for armor recognition . I will post it on monday .

Dave

Howard Chandler CHRISTY

Born, Morgan country Jan 10 1873

Deceasead , NY March 4;1962

Christy studied in NY at the national academy of design and the art student league

under the well known painter William Merrit Chase.

His Chrisies Girls made him famous,They were featured on posters made during the Spanish American war.

Altough the Christie's girls became extremely famous , they were received with mixed feelings.

According to the critics, his posters showed poor draughmanship and did not rise beyond the gallery of illustration found in dailies and weeklies.

After WW1;Christy become more interested in portrait painting and teaching; in the 1980 his works was shown in the national portrait gallery in DC

Teufelhund

Hi Again All !!!

Well I dug out a few more the first 1 is WWI , the 2nd is 1970's Fort Lewis and the 3rd is one for a Magazine . Hope you enjoy !!!

Dave

dave12.JPG

dave13.JPG

dave14.JPG

Dave,

These are some great posters. How did you get into collecting these?

Jim

Hi Jim !!

The 1st 5 or 10 was kind of a rescue mission . The antique dealer who had them was glueing and scotch taping them to card board to sell . He thought he was helping to prserve them but in fact he was more or less destroying them . So I asked how much for all and he would not have to do a thing to them except let me have 2 pieces of cardboard to put them between . These were all WWI .

I guess you might say that they grew on me . and the art work is something else too . I have kind of slowed down on poster now . It is hard to display 70 posters let alon the price of framing , even though i do it myself . I hope to get about 30 out when I get my new war room finished some day . I want to get into combat uniforms and set up a WWI , WWII , Korea , Vietnam etc . That will depend on the room getting done .

Well I have rambled enough . I will post a few more posters soon .

Dave

I love that newsmap. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing.

"Till we meet again" is a poster I'd like to have in my collection.

Can it still be found?

Erwin

Hi Erwin !!

I am sure that "Till we meet again" is out there somewhere . I'll keep an eye out .

Here are a few more " Make good the promise " kind of touches home for me my Grandfather use to drive an ambulance in WWI . Hope You Enjoy !!!

Dave

dave19.JPG

davea16.JPG

dave4.JPG

Hi Ricardo !!!

Great poster !!! I Thank You for posting it !!! I like that What time period is it ?

" IRMAOS DE ARMAS " is that " Brother of Arms " ????

Dave

I love those posters. I wish I could afford to collect them, they are great!

The wife would actually let me hang some up in the house as well. She gets a kick out of the homefront ones.

I'm thinking of looking into repro posters, the same size, though.

Hi Ricardo !!!

Great poster !!! I Thank You for posting it !!! I like that What time period is it ?

" IRMAOS DE ARMAS " is that " Brother of Arms " ????

Dave

Hi Dave,

Correct my friend!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

I love that newsmap. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing.

"Till we meet again" is a poster I'd like to have in my collection.

Can it still be found?

Erwin

The "Till we Meet Again" poster is fairly common in its 20 x 28 inch size (it may be 22x28 but I know its one of those two). It can also be found even more readily as a postcard from WWII with the exact same image and these sell for under $10.

Jim

This is a Home Front poster I have hanging in my room. I grew up in Iowa and I had heard stories about this tragedy and wanted to share it with the Fourm.

The 5 Sullivan Brothers, from Waterloo IA, Albert, Francis, George, Joseph and Madison joined the Navy after Pearl Harbor. George and Albert had already served 4 years in the Navy together before the outbreak of WWII. Upon hearing about the Day of Infamy and the loss of one of their friends on the USS Arizona they all joined the Navy to serve.

November 13 off the shores of Guadalcanal the USS Juneau was sunk with the loss of 630 plus sailors in the explosion. George survived the attack only to die later of wounds 5 days later in his life raft.

All the blue stars would turn to gold.

Happy Veterans Day. thumbsup.gif

pmshindy

post-1704-1194896702.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Don't mean to get off the subject, but what unit is that in the panoramic photo????

7th Marine Regiment

? Battalion

Philadelphia Navy Yard

Sept 6th, 1919

Regards

T