Lets see Your War Room Posters

davekj

Hi Folks, Here are some bits of information on recent posts.

First, Here is my two cents on poster reprints and it may be worth less than that. I wouldnt waste my money on poster reprints and reproductions. Many of the common posters from the war can be had for a very reasonable price of less than $50 and bargains can be found on ebay of even less than $25. a good reprint will cost around $15 so go a little more and get the real thing. As a collector I dont like reprints as it only makes it easier for some unscrupulous dealer passing them off to the unsuspecting collector as originals. Yes collectors should do their homework, but it doesnt stop if from happening. The one exception would be if someone wants to display a poster that is very rare and hard to find and then if you dont want to drop big bucks on a poster the reproduction would be the choice.

The Sullivans. There was a neat song done about the Sullivans by Caroline Spine. It can be heard by clicking the link below. I think they tell the story based on the movie since they refer to the train.

Another tribute to the Sullivans.

Last ... here are some posters I displayed at a recent dance for Senior Citizens at our local high school where I set up tables and posters of homefront items. Jim

post-1908-1196200647.jpg

On my war room wall is this poster I made myself. I had it printed by a poster company on a 60 cm format and had it framed.

It is based on a WWII article from the 106th division newspaper.

The picture shows Lt. Ivan "IKE" Long and men of his I&R platoon from the 423rd Infantry Regiment. He and his men were one of the only groups that were able to escape the encirclement in the Schnee Eifel, where the rest of the 423rd and 422nd were forced to surrender.

The I&R platoon helped in the defense of St Vith and was the last unit to leave the city on December 21st.

post-165-1196614546.jpg

Best regards

Carl

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Nice war posters guys! I want to share mine, this is a early ww2 poster,if I remember correctly.. I bought this in the 80's and the frame came with. I know it has the artist's name and date but I can't remember. I probably should get it reframed.

Let me know what you guys think.

Jason

post-2501-1209909727.jpg

This is the only one in my War Room, I purchased this as part of a sale from a military museum that closed it's doors. Sorry for the glare, the poster is in a frame with preservation glass.

USMF_Posting.jpg

This is a repro, because the originals are several thousand $, and I'd rather have patches. But it served as the model for the 330th's black cat patch.

post-622-1210117053.jpg

brandon_rss18
Hi Folks, Here are some bits of information on recent posts.

First, Here is my two cents on poster reprints and it may be worth less than that. I wouldnt waste my money on poster reprints and reproductions. Many of the common posters from the war can be had for a very reasonable price of less than $50 and bargains can be found on ebay of even less than $25. a good reprint will cost around $15 so go a little more and get the real thing. As a collector I dont like reprints as it only makes it easier for some unscrupulous dealer passing them off to the unsuspecting collector as originals. Yes collectors should do their homework, but it doesnt stop if from happening. The one exception would be if someone wants to display a poster that is very rare and hard to find and then if you dont want to drop big bucks on a poster the reproduction would be the choice.

The Sullivans. There was a neat song done about the Sullivans by Caroline Spine. It can be heard by clicking the link below. I think they tell the story based on the movie since they refer to the train.

Another tribute to the Sullivans.

Last ... here are some posters I displayed at a recent dance for Senior Citizens at our local high school where I set up tables and posters of homefront items. Jim

post-1908-1196200647.jpg

Man how long did it take you to collect that many poster? thumbsup.gif Great collection!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all !!!

Glad to see this thread is still going !! It is Great to see all your posters you have posted !! If I get some time I will post some more posters .

Thank You !! KEEP EM COMING !!!

Dave

I might as well add mine.....Ive had this one since the mid '80's...some roach damage, but since this was in Hawaii, whadda ya expect! crying.gif

IMG_1577.jpg

chad

• 5 months later...

Heres my one and only .... It takes up the WHOLE WALL.

Got it at Blockbuster Video store yrs ago, after they threw it away.

Saving Private Ryan.

2dfe.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1227088146.jpg

Hi fellow contibutors, This is one of my favourites partly due to it's WAAC content, also it's size and the fact that it's an advertising calender for ' Ditzler Automotive Finishes' Available from ' M.Werner & Sons, Distributors, Sandwich, ILL. Phone 229'. the calender is dated 1943. The WAAC officer has early uniform on with Hobby hat, square handbag, belted jacket and shoulder flaps running back and front, not along the shoulder. It also shows a staff car to the left, a Jeep to the right and a B-17 in the air, products that they supplied paint for. It measures 48 x 24 inches.

Cheers ( Lewis )

p.s. sorry for the angle of the shot it's in a corridor on the way to the bathroom.

General Apathy

post-344-1227088397.jpg

Hi All, here's another favourite and it's all down to those beautiful little faces, they are pure fantasy, who would not get better with little beauties like this fluttering around the ward.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 2 years later...

This poster hangs over my desk. It's approximately 29” x 39”. It was printed in 1919 using stone lithography, the most costly and time consuming printing process at the time (still is I think). I first saw this poster at the WW1 Memorial in Kansas City. Well worth the trip if you’ve never been there.

Jim

post-20555-1293484210.jpg

I love Norman Rockwell’s work and I was thrilled to find this poster at a local flea market several years ago. It’s the only combat painting ever done by Rockwell.

post-20555-1293484760.jpg

Leatherwringer

Just got this from a friend who is a local art framer yesterday! It is an original from the late 60's (he thought 68) the colors are really funky!!

011-2.jpg

I'm not much in to posters but here are a couple I have saved over the years. The red cross poster is a Howard Chandler Christy print. The USMC poster is on a hardboard. These were found locally, with a few others, in the attic of an old general store.

post-2609-1293919998.jpg

post-2609-1293920012.jpg

I have a few both German and American. All original all unmounted, but in frames with UV protected glass. Id much rather see the folds than have it mounted on acid free rice paper.

ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK

German 1944 winter drive poster

7th war bond poster with Iwo Jima flag raising

NEXT! 6th war loan which I just got and need to get framed.

Anyone know good places to pick up posters? Being a graphic designer I LOVE these posters and there are a few I am on the hunt for 3 specific ones. 2 careless talk posters one with the marine and one with the paratrooper and the Back the Attack with the paratrooper.

-j