Wake Island Marine Grouping

tom2001

Old Marine

There is not much else I can say that hasn't been said already. But this is a really historic and heartbreaking group. I am so glad to see that it's in your custody and will be preserved. Thanks for posting this and allowing us to see this.

Thanks

Dennis

Kurt Barickman

Don't know what else to say other than fantastic and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: Never have seen a Wake Island USMC group this complete.

Kurt Barickman

KASTAUFFER

S/Sgt Hemmelgarn's remains were laid to rest at the National Cemetary of the Pacific in Hawaii (also known as the punchbowl). I was able to find a photo of his headstone. I go to Hawaii once a year, and on my next trip, I will pay my respects.

Many of you know about my interest in posthumous groups and POW history. Many of the threads I have copmpleted on this forum have been devoted to POWs. I have been looking for a Wake Island grouping for a long time, and Tom was able to work with me to acquire this grouping. Hemmelgarn is also from my home state of Washington. It fits both of my interests. I feel very fortunate to have acquired this group thanks to Tom.

Many years back I helped Tom acquire the D-Day Omaha Beach Navy Cross grouping he owns and has posted on this forum before. Sometimes it takes more than a checkbook to find and acquire groups like this. Friendships and helping each other out is also a factor.

I will continue the work Tom started on researching this group and will add more to the thread as I find it,

Kurt

hemmelgarn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi Tom   I am a researcher/writer for StoriesBehindTheStars.org.  This is a national effort of volunteers to write the stories of all 400,000+ of the US WWII fallen.   Paul Francis Hemmelgarn has been assigned to me.  What a marvelous collection you have of his memorabilia.  I am writing you to ask permission to use your photos of his medals and letters in the story I am writing about him.  This story will be posted on Togetherweserved.com as well as Fold3.com.  Related to this, there will be a smart phone app that will allow people to visit any war memorial or cemetery, scan the fallen's name and read his/her story.

Thank you for posting these photos  I hope you will allow me to use your photos, with credit given to you and a link to USMF.  

17 minutes ago, lmccole said:

Hi Tom   I am a researcher/writer for StoriesBehindTheStars.org.  This is a national effort of volunteers to write the stories of all 400,000+ of the US WWII fallen.   Paul Francis Hemmelgarn has been assigned to me.  What a marvelous collection you have of his memorabilia.  I am writing you to ask permission to use your photos of his medals and letters in the story I am writing about him.  This story will be posted on Togetherweserved.com as well as Fold3.com.  Related to this, there will be a smart phone app that will allow people to visit any war memorial or cemetery, scan the fallen's name and read his/her story.

Thank you for posting these photos  I hope you will allow me to use your photos, with credit given to you and a link to USMF.  

You should know that Tom passed away some years ago. I believe that the current caretaker of the group is a member here.

Allan