Wake Island Marine Grouping

tom2001

One of the BEST PH groups I've ever seen!! :thumbsup:

So tragic to have made it so close to the end of the war only to be killed by your own planes.

4STARCHRIS

To have survived the Japanese attack on Wake Island, only to be unexpectedly killed by "friendly fire". What a heart renching group. The hand written letters in the words of a soldier, knowing he is going through hell, only to let everyone know he is fine and is well taken care of. Semper Fi! Paul and in Gods grace you shall rest.

4starchris

:thumbsup: OMG WOW !!! WOW!!!! OH MY !!!! WOW!!!! !!!

No words!!! Just WOW !!!! can't breath!!! WOW!!!!! :bravo: :jeal0001:

canadian bacon

:jeal0001: wow what an outstanding find the medals themselfs are very nice but the papers and photo really are in my mind the best part of this group they tell the story of a man who spent almost the entire war in a p.o.w camp only to be killed during what im guessing was an allied air raid wow great find

What a fantastic group. Truly a hen's tooth...but the documentation...I hope you document that digitally, or perhaps even compile some sort of material for distribution...book, electronic, whatever...so that his story and words can be known

Well, Tom, you've done it again! What a fanatstic group! I'm (Marine Corps) Green with envy! Congrats!!!!!! :twothumbup: If you ever want.........aw heck, never mind! Semper Fi........Bob

What a fantastic group. Truly a hen's tooth...but the documentation...I hope you document that digitally, or perhaps even compile some sort of material for distribution...book, electronic, whatever...so that his story and words can be known

thanks. Yea, everything is getting scanned or photographed, and I promised the family I'd feature the group on my web page.

A couple of interesting points:

Besides the medals, one of the most interesting items is the December 19th letter to his family. That was 4 days before the fall of Wake. I cannot imagine what he was doing or how the letter even got out.

The fact that there's a Purple Heart with the group is also interesting. If he would have died of disease as a POW, his family wouldn't have been entitled to a PH. But because he was killed in a US bombing mission, he was considered killed in action, and thus the award of the PH.

The story of the fire bombing raids on Japanese cities is also a poignant story from the war. Beginning in March of 1945, General LeMay ordered low level napalm missions on Japanese cities. With many houses made of wood and paper, these napalm raids decimated many large Japanese cities. The 5 June 1945 mission on Kobe/Osaka is well documented.

That is one amazing group! Now to verify if he was actually killed by bombs or irate guards....

-Ski

Well, the letter below, which I didn't post in the first round, reports that he was cremated. My gut reaction is that he was burned up in the fire bombing mission, and the Japs reported him as "cremated".

post-126-1307058838.jpg

thanks. Yea, everything is getting scanned or photographed, and I promised the family I'd feature the group on my web page.

A couple of interesting points:

Besides the medals, one of the most interesting items is the December 19th letter to his family. That was 4 days before the fall of Wake. I cannot imagine what he was doing or how the letter even got out.

The fact that there's a Purple Heart with the group is also interesting. If he would have died of disease as a POW, his family wouldn't have been entitled to a PH. But because he was killed in a US bombing mission, he was considered killed in action, and thus the award of the PH.

The story of the fire bombing raids on Japanese cities is also a poignant story from the war. Beginning in March of 1945, General LeMay ordered low level napalm missions on Japanese cities. With many houses made of wood and paper, these napalm raids decimated many large Japanese cities. The 5 June 1945 mission on Kobe/Osaka is well documented.

Tom - regarding the letter; on 20 December a PBY arrived with mail arrived at Wake. It departed the next day carrying "the last man off Wake Island", Major walter Baylor. I would suppose it also carried out-bound mail, etc. It is a wonderfully historic letter.

Your analysis of his Purple Heart award is spot-on. Interesting also, it appears the Corps overlooked his award of the Good Conduct Medal which he qualified for in Sep 1941 (unless there was something in his Record Book which disqulified him). As he was a Staff Sergeant I think that was unlikely and its absence is simply the result of an oversight. When you get his SRB perhaps the reason will be revealed.

Again, fabulous! Bob

devildog34

This is simply spectacular and my measly post is merely redundant of what others have said. I know 2 Wake Island Survivors from my home state of Oklahoma both of whom were on the Alamo of the Pacific on the history channel a number of years ago, one has since passed. This is simply amazing. My heart felt congrats to you on this historic addition to your collection.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Belleauwood
This is simply spectacular and my measly post is merely redundant of what others have said. I know 2 Wake Island Survivors from my home state of Oklahoma both of whom were on the Alamo of the Pacific on the history channel a number of years ago, one has since passed. This is simply amazing. My heart felt congrats to you on this historic addition to your collection.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Tom,

I can only agree with Kevin on this one. Simply spectacular! - You surely have one of the finest collections extant, I'm sure; even though I haven't seen the tip of the iceberg.

Hard to top.

Regards, Dennis Jackson

Well, the letter below, which I didn't post in the first round, reports that he was cremated. My gut reaction is that he was burned up in the fire bombing mission, and the Japs reported him as "cremated".

Tom, Kurt can probably weigh in with a more definate answer, but my understanding from what I have read was that cremation was a fairly common practice when Allied POW's died or were killed, in fact, that it was a common practice for shotdown & KIA airmen lost over Japan proper. I think it was just simply the customary Japanese way of dealing with remains, whether POW or KIA or Japanese person.

I know I have had IDPF's noting very specific locations of "cremains" in locations in Japan.

My point is that he could very well simply have actually been cremated as a matter of course.

MW

Corpsmancollector

Tom,

Simply a spectacular grouping. I cannot say any more than other members have already. Congratulations on being the caretaker of these historic artefacts and thank you so much for sharing them with us all on the forum.

Semper Fi

Will

It’s great how the documents state the rim # of that Wake Island Expeditionary Medal. The medals are amazing, but the supporting documentation is even more so. This grouping has it all.

Congratulations Tom Wake Island! Incredibly historic and tragic group.Your website is the prefect place to display and honor him.One of the best Marine grouping I have ever seen.Thanks for sharing. Mark

KASTAUFFER
Tom, Kurt can probably weigh in with a more definate answer, but my understanding from what I have read was that cremation was a fairly common practice when Allied POW's died or were killed, in fact, that it was a common practice for shotdown & KIA airmen lost over Japan proper. I think it was just simply the customary Japanese way of dealing with remains, whether POW or KIA or Japanese person.

I know I have had IDPF's noting very specific locations of "cremains" in locations in Japan.

My point is that he could very well simply have actually been cremated as a matter of course.

MW

In Japan proper, POWs who died were routinely cremated, but that was not the practice outside Japan.

I love the amount of paperwork and the POW mail with this group.

Kurt

vicjoy1945
In Japan proper, POWs who died were routinely cremated, but that was not the practice outside Japan.

I love the amount of paperwork and the POW mail with this group.

Kurt

The truly tragic aspect of the grouping is this gallant Marine's death as a POW by "friendly fire." To survive such hardship only to lay down his most precious commodity in such a manner. Unfortunately, this type of tradgedy happened all too often in the Pacific theatre. For example, the scores of POWs who were killed aboard the "Hellships" while in transport to the Japanese mainland. Many of these poor devils were survivor's of the Bataan Death march. Again, to survive such hardship only to...

The historic aspect of this grouping is that this Marine was a Wake Defender. Imagine...the poigniance, and the significance, of that letter sent home in the last flight to leave the island only two days pror to its fall....with the whole nation...rooting for these brave men. The defense of Wake Island has taken on a symbolic...even mythic...proportion. I venture to say that its up there with Belleau Wood, Iwo Jima, Chosin Reservoir and Khe Sahn...but I think a true Marine can speak to that much better than I.

Any which way you look at it, his death's was a terrible loss for his family and friends and our country but it was also one possible outcome that he faced willingly and I'm sure with a sense of pride, honor and integrity.

A very moving grouping indeed...

Vic

p.s. kinda preachin to the choir here I know but it was just something I had to get out there...especially after Memorial Day !!