How to set up a museum?

Mercenary25

Mercenary25

Ok gentlemen,

Maybe some of you members have some experience in this field so I figured it is worth a shot. I've been researching on how to starting a non-profit museum but I want to hear from members here who has experiences and advices of how to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Jack's Son

Obtaining your 510C3 (tax exempt status) from the IRS will be your toughest task.

The second toughest task will be to weather the constant audits over the first few years.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Ok gentlemen,

Maybe some of you members have some experience in this field so I figured it is worth a shot. I've been researching on how to starting a non-profit museum but I want to hear from members here who has experiences and advices of how to do so.

Thanks in advance!

It's quite a lengthy story. actually.

I worked in museums more than 30 years, as everything from curatorial assistant to director.

Where to begin...

Jack's Son
Obtaining your 510C3 (tax exempt status) from the IRS will be your toughest task.

The second toughest task will be to weather the constant audits over the first few years.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Excuse me........that is a 501c3.

Sorry for the typo.

Mercenary25

Bluehawk, this question is too broad?

Jack's son, thanks but I'm already aware of this form.

My real question is how to creating one. I have absoulte zero of experience in creating a business.

Thanks guys

Jack's Son

This is for real...Call the Chamber of Commerce and your Cities Office that handles the issuing of business permits.

Start there........they'll guild you as to what to do, and what you will need. It's THE place to start.

Bluehawk, this question is too broad?

Jack's son, thanks but I'm already aware of this form.

My real question is how to creating one. I have absoulte zero of experience in creating a business.

Thanks guys

PM sent:

My very best advice would be to start with the American Association of Museums and the American Association for State and Local History.

http://www.aam-us.org/

http://www.aaslh.org/

Those are the two key professional organizations which, in a sense, "govern" museum ethics and standard practises for every imaginable size and kind of museum in the USA.

They will have every answer to every question you might come up with.

If you need an interpreter of what they say or send, then I'll be glad to explain.

teufelhunde.ret

I have no experience w/ these museum matters, however having served on countless non-profit Boards, finding a qualified Board of Directors who bring experience in such things as funding raising, grant writing, fiscal matters etc, will be your greatest challenge at the outset. Museums (or non-profits) are only as good as its "qualified" volunteers & docents...