My Collection of CBI Theater made items.

This is my small (but growing) collection of items from China. The items are not attributed to any one person, rather they are items that several servicemen (Aviators in this case) would have returned with. As I bring more items into my collection from this area, I will post them.

If you would like to see closer pix of anything, please let me know.

Thanks All.

post-214-1310875947.jpg

msg-8213-1320094484.jpg

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/301020-robin-ray/

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World War II Chinese Order of the Resplendent Banner 7th Class commander badge with cravat, (Cloud & Banner).

JS,

I am VERY interested in CBI items. That is where my Grandfather served.

Can you please explain this medal? Who would have received this medal and why?

Thanks a bunch, Kat

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

JS,

I am VERY interested in CBI items. That is where my Grandfather served.

Can you please explain this medal? Who would have received this medal and why?

Thanks a bunch, Kat

Awarded for Contributions to national security or quelling internal unrest

Cloud and Banner

General Chennault's archives located at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University contains numerous documents involving the awarding of Chinese decorations to the members of the FAVG. A careful reading of these documents shows the following correlation between the Wing Star Medals and the Order of the Clouds: Those pilots with 1-4 air victories received the 6th or 7th Order of the Cloud and Banner; those pilots with 5-8 air victories received the 5th Order of the Cloud and Banner; and those pilots with 9 or more air victories received the 4th Order of the Cloud and Banner. Squadron Leaders received 5th Order or higher medals depending upon the number of their air victories. Ken Jernstedt received the 5th Order medal for his prolific 7 ground destroyed aircraft plus his air victories. It appears from official records that those pilots who died or were taken POW did not receive the medals they earned.

The July - August 2002 issue of The Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America contains an outstanding article by Mark Chao elaborating on the Order of the Cloud and Banner. It is much to extensive to recite here. I would like to include two items from the article: (1) The order was established June 15, 1935, and (2) The 9 classes in the series are divided into three groups of three. Classes 1 - 4 are awarded to general officers; classes 3-- 6 are awarded to senior field officers, classes 4 - 7 are awarded to junior field officers, and classes 6 - 9 are awarded to the enlisted.

Source: A three page document from the Chennault Archives @ Hoover Institution entitled: “HEADQUARTERS FIRST AMERICAN VOLUNTEER GROUPGeorge Burgard's Flying Tiger Days GGeorge Burgard's Flying Tiger Days eorge Burgard's Flying Tiger Days

JS,

How can you tell these are chinese made wings?

Thanks, Kat

Kat,

That is a tough question to answer for me.

I am still learning a lot about wings, the this style is hard enough for the experts. When I find a pair that look to be a candidate for closer inspection, I look for the lack of a hallmark, the simple pin and hook assembly and a "different" finish to the wing.....it just looks odd.

When I find a wing that fits that "mold", I get a good picture and send it to my mentor, who helps me make the ID, (he does the work, I learn). :lol:

JS,

How can you tell these are chinese made wings?

Thanks, Kat

Says "Made in Hong Kong" on the back.

Ian ;)

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

The Cloud and Banner is 7th class, not 5th class. I saw the listing where it was sold. Nice buy, by the way.

The medal was not always awarded to pilots or air force personnel, it was also awarded to servicemen in other branches too, or whether Chinese or US military (other countries too). I always see this as a misconception about this medal.

The Cloud and Banner is 7th class, not 5th class. I saw the listing where it was sold. Nice buy, by the way.

The medal was not always awarded to pilots or air force personnel, it was also awarded to servicemen in other branches too, or whether Chinese or US military (other countries too). I always see this as a misconception about this medal.

Correct! I've got one to a USMC LtCol. Robin-----Nice CBI stuff!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

JS, that is some cool 'Chit' you got there........ :lol:

Seriously though, I like that quilted Chinese flag......very unique. :thumbsup:

Dang Brian, I was looking through here and wanted to use that line!! :lol:

Seriously, JS, nice stuff here!! :thumbsup:

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

Nice stuff. Any CBI patches?

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif