50th Anniversary of Normandy Items

Old Marine

Old Marine

These are some items that I picked up at a flea market a few years ago. I just wish I knew who these belonged to. The medal, from what I have read is a French medal that was given to all the veterans that attended the 50th Anniversary events in Normandy.

The Zippo is really pretty nice. The crest on the front is really very nicely done, it's thick and well sculpted. This is one of the best looking Zippos that I have ever seen.

Anyway, enjoy the photos.

Dennis

post-2843-1306972367.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was the NCO in charge of the Air Force contingent of a combined USAF/Army honor guard/formation at the 50th anniv. events in Normandy...the medal was indeed given to the vets there...however, the next day (7 June) we had a ceremony at the airport at Cherbourg for a group of former 9th Air Force pilots who had operated out of there...after the ceremony was over, the regional head honcho presented the same medals to us as a way of saying "thanks"...unfortunately, they were one medal short, so I gave up mine so all the airmen got one....this medal is based on one that was approved in 1947 for "any" US veteran who took part in the liberation of France (not just the Normandy landings)..the ribbon is a reverse of the World War One Victory Medal...the medal design for Normandy is a little different than the 1947 version - which is still produced -...the 1947 version has the words "France = to it's liberators" on the reverse......oh, the 1947 version was originally meant for French soldiers, but amended to be awarded to Allied soldiers as well...I think it was in 1954 that they stopped awarding them....

Mark sends

Dennis,

Great finds you have got there & Nice additions to add to your

collection they look great and thanks for sharing them with us :thumbsup:

Tomás.

Zippo Grunt

Dennis,

Thanks for showing the D-Day Zippo. Its also known as a COTY (Collectible of the Year)

It shows a special insignia adapted from the official D-Day patch worn by allied forces, and the case duplicates the "black crackle" lighters that were made during WWII. Also on the inside of the tins lid you will see a reprint of the original Eisenhower letter that was issued to troops on June the 4th.

Nice Zippo.