the fallen here in Normandy sixty-seven years on

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1306968092.jpg

Many Americans, forum members, or relatives of US servicemen and women that died in Europe during WWII will never get to visit the cemetery at Colleville sur Mer - Omaha beach, Normandy.

Sixty-seven years on an June once again approaches I would like to pay tribute daily with some of the grave headstones of service personnel that died here in Europe during the month of June 1944.

" Let us remember their sacrifices ".

General Apathy

post-344-1306968500.jpg

June 1st,

unable to find a grave with the date of June 1st 1944 I have added one of the many headstones simply marked,

" A comrade in arms, known but to God "

General Apathy

post-344-1306970971.jpg

June 2nd

Everett Hensley, Sgt, 847 Bomb Sq., 489 Bomb Group ( H ), Kentucky June 2 1944

Chunky Monkey

Thanks Ken! We should not forget the sacrifices these young men and women made!

Your time, pictures, and sincere care for our fallen soldiers does not go unnoticed. Thank you sir! :salute:

This most worthy of threads should have a 1000 hits by now! Good man Ken...thanks for your efforts.

Ian

Thank you very much for what you do. My self,and my cousin that goes by chunky monkey on here Thank you. Are grandfather is resting in France. So it`s very appreciated from us back here. :salute: GOD Bless you.

Good job, Ken.

I'll be heading to Henri-Chapelle to pay my respects to the two GIs whose grave I adopted soon.

Erwin

Rakkasan187

Thanks for taking on this Honorable Task. I for one am not sure if I will ever be able to visit, but with what you are doing, I am there..

Thanks again..

Leigh..

everforward
Good job, Ken.

I'll be heading to Henri-Chapelle to pay my respects to the two GIs whose grave I adopted soon.

Erwin

My wife has two great-uncles (brothers) that were KIA and buried at Henri-Chapelle, side-by-side.

General Apathy

Hi Members & Friends,

In all of my posts and topics I do endeavour to try and answer each post individually in reply to posts added to my topics, in this case I would like to say thank you to you all for your very generous comments they are very much appreciated as always, however I would like to take a back seat on this one and say that the topic is about the men or women that will be featured.

ken ;)

Ken,

You are correct. We must remember the men and women who sacrificed so much for us. I just looked up on the internet and found out that four women are buried there.

Have you ever seen a marker for the women?

Your posts have gotten me interested in finding out more about these women. Thanks for making us remember and think about so many vets.

....Kat

My wife has two great-uncles (brothers) that were KIA and buried at Henri-Chapelle, side-by-side.

I'll be glad to go pay my respect to them as well as take photos for you if you wish so.

Send me the location of their graves via pm.

Erwin

General Apathy

post-344-1307050926.jpg

June 3rd.

as the fighting here on the ground didn't start for another 3 days ( June 6th 1944 ) then again I was unable to find a headstone with a 3rd of June date.

today's headstone is a mystery as he is stated to be a civilian and yet he is laid to rest in a military cemetery and his death was five months prior to D-Day.