A surprise in the pocket, it finally happened

StevenL

After reading so enviously over the years about all the other members who've found one of these in the pocket of a uniform it's finally my turn. A Goodwill today turned up an unnamed Ike jacket with only an AAF HQ patch on one sleeve and a Ruptured Duck, but a look in the pockets and low and behold... My first prophylactic find. :w00t: A quick search and I found that Silver-Tex was indeed a brand available to servicemen at many PX stores during WW2. The Ike is still there but this little guy somehow found its way into the pocket of another jacket I did buy so here it is for reference if anyone actually searches for this brand on here in the future. :lol:

Prophylactic.jpg

Nice score...pocket finds are always fun.Wierdest find was a set of false teeth in the pocket of an overcoat. :huh:

Found one in a medical officers Ike I got at an auction years ago..Recently picked up a 34th Division trunk/group and found about a half dozen of the pro kits in it and a couple of the british made gas rassards(armbands) that were folded up in the bottom. :)

Lucky guys, the only thing I found inside a pocket was a dead fly .... must have been German .... maybe something for eBay?

Erwin

X_redcatcher

I found a pair of black panties one time in a class A , in another the dude's ticket home from vietnam! also found a wad of gum in a pocket, "chewed" but you always want to search those pockets :) sometimes theres still money even in there :)

ALWAYS CHECK THE POCKETS AND EVERYTHING ELSE. I found french coins in a WWI gas mask bag. My son bought an 1935 Officers bedroll and when he unrolled it the pockets were stuffed full. Including condoms. Robert

boisbelleau

Found a unsmoked cigarette and a strike anywhere match in the breast pocket of a WWI tunic. Getting it our was an adventure in it self. It sort of disintegrated and there was tobacco all over the pocket.

BB

rrobertscv

Found an unopened pack of Chesterfields in a wool winter coat and 3 "Big Red One" patches in a vets Ike.

dogfacedsoldier

I have found several rosaries; paperwork, discharges, separation papers, leave passes, shot records; medals, various patches, 1 Gaudacanal snake, 1 theater made Americal, 1 4th Marine Division; 1 Kapo armband in bad shape, some insignia; a few pics; and 1 or 2 cigarettes. Nothing lately, this was all in the past.

Jon

Old Marine

That's a pretty good find. I have found a lot of ticket stubs, photos, patches, gum coins and other stuff in the pockets. It' neat to find that stuff in there.

I've found a few bucks in a BDU pocket once, and a set of dog tags in another. That's it so far.

Funny thing was going thru my class A's a wile back. 20+years old. Found a pack of condoms. Only one problem, was dating my wife back them and it was not the brand "we" would use...................

canadian bacon

in my grandfathers Korean war era garrison cap i found an unopened condom and in the right pocket of his Ike i hit gold a Hitler youth knife and a knights cross of the iron cross with oak leaves both obviously from his service during the occupation

Funny thing was going thru my class A's a wile back. 20+years old. Found a pack of condoms. Only one problem, was dating my wife back them and it was not the brand "we" would use...................

doh!!! :pinch:

I found a pair of black panties one time in a class A

I think you win the "best find" contest, hands down. Other militaria is nice to find but it's the personal items the soldier stuffed into the pockets that really make it for me. I've found a Trojan in a BDU before too but it wasn't anything vintage. :lol:

My "hottest" pocket find was some Tank Destroyer collar brass.

Sabrejet

Oh mannnnnnn! :pinch: :blink:

:lol:

Erwin

carbinephalen
Darn, that looks like the brand I still use ! :pinch:

Bahaha :lol: TMI...TMI. USGI surplus is great for lots of things...but not everything!! I do believe that those have an expiration date my friend.

Found a very dirty GI handkerchief once -- ewwww!

Have found movie and train tickets too.

Got lucky another time though. Had bought several WW1 era GO's dress blue coats, trou and visor once. Cuffs were missing the bullion stars, so I found a set and sewed them on, though the new ones were clearly not vintage. Several years later I was digging through the hidden glove pockets found in the coat tails, and there were the original stars! Apparently they had been removed for cleaning, or they were a spare pair. They are back on the coat now, but I must admit I was not careful to use vintage cotton thread.

G

dartheric1

I found a SSgts discharge papers in an M1939 EM Overcoat. and A complete set of Nazi stamps (Hitler and SS stamps) in the breast pocket of a M1940 EM Service Coat. i got the service coat for 20 bucks, the stamps alon were worth 40 :]

I recently bought a French made US WW1 officers tunic at an estate sale. In the pockets I found some "chuncks" of very dried tobacco, period matches, and a silver French 50 centime coin dated 1916.