The FOOTLOCKER Editor’s U.S. Army Uniform Reference Bookshelf

GIl Sanow

I was told early on that I should buy books before I invested in collectibles. Of course, being young and foolish, I ignored this advice early on, but I soon learned that I could not do without. Here’s what’s on my shelf today. Admittedly some of these were published years ago and thus may be hard to find, but all have at least some value to the collector.

Some, by the way, appear to have been published for the scale modeler as opposed to the militaria collector, but they are still useful. Those who create military scenes in miniature are at least as obsessed with getting the details right as collectors are. While these are primarily photo albums, but they are still very useful.

Some of these are still available from Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble. They may be found in public libraries too, and they sometimes turn up on e-Bay too.

Chappell, Gordon, "Brass Spikes and Horsehair Plumes", (Arizona Pioneers’ Historical Society, Tucson, 1966)

Chappell, Gordon, "The Search for the Well-Dressed Soldier 1865-1890", (Arizona Pioneers’ Historical Society, Tucson, 1972)

Dilley, Roy, "U.S. Army Uniforms 1939-1945", (Almark Publications, London, 1972)

Elting, Col. John R., and McAfee, Michael J, Editors, "Military Uniforms in America Volume IV The Modern Era From 1868", (Company of Military Historians, Westbrook, CT, 1968)

Emerson, William K., "Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms", (University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 1996)

Enjames, Henri-Paul, "Government Issue

Howard, Gary, "America’s Finest, US Airborne Uniforms, Equipment and Insignia of World War Two (ETO)", Greenhill Books, London & Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, 1994)

Howell, Edgar M., "United States Army Headgear 1855-1902", (G.P.O., Washington, ca. 1975)

Langellier, John Phillip, "They Continually Wear the Blue, U.S. Army Enlisted Dress Uniforms, 1865-1902", (Barnes-McGee, San Francisco, 1972)

Lewis, Kenneth, "Doughboy to GI, US Army Clothing and Equipment 1900-1945", (Norman D. Landing Co., UK, 1993)

Machado, William C., "Uniforms & Equipment of the Last Campaign 1916" [The Pursuit of Pancho Villa], (Self published, Ontario, CA, 1993)

Nelson, Henry Loomis {Series 1] and Pakula, Marvin [series 2] with prints by Henry David Ogden, "Uniforms of the United States Army", Thomas Youseloff, Press, New York, 1959 & 1960) – contains Ogden prints done for the QMD in the early 1900s

Paskauskas II, Joel B., "Desert Garb and Gear, The Equipment of America’s Desert Warriors", (Concord Publications Co., Hong Kong, 1994)

"Quartermaster Supply Catalog, OQMG Circular No. 4 - Revised August 1943", (reprinted by National Capital Historical Sales, Alexandria, VA, ca 1975)

"Quartermaster Supply Catalog, QM-3, Enlisted Men’s Clothing and Equipment, May 1946", (reprinted by National Capital Historical Sales, Alexandria, VA, ca 1975)

Rankin, Col. Robert H., 'Uniforms of the Army", (G.P. Putnam’s Sons, New York, 1967)

Rankin, Col. Robert H., "Uniforms of the Navy", (G.P. Putnam’s Sons, New York, 1960’s)

Rankin, Col. Robert H. "Uniforms of the Marine Corps", (G.P. Putnam’s Sons, New York, 1960's)

Schulz, Paul, Otoupalik, Hayes and Gordon, Dennis, "World War One Collectors Handbook, Volumes 1 & 2", [Also available as single volume], (G.O.S. Incorporated, Missoula, MT, 1977 and 1979)

Silvia, Stephen W. & O’Donnell, Michael J., "Uniforms, Weapons and Equipment of the World War II G.I.", (Moss Publications, Orange, VA, 1982)

Steffen, Randy, "The Horse Soldier, Volumes I - VI", (University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 1979)

Stanton, Shelby, "U.S. Army Uniforms of World War II", (Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, 1991)

Stanton, Shelby, "U.S. Army Uniforms of the Korean War", (Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, 1992)

Stanton, Shelby, "U.S. Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War", (Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, 1989)

Stanton, Shelby, "U.S. Army Uniforms of the Cold War', (Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, 1994)

Todd, Frederick P., "Soldiers of the American Army 1775-1954" (Henry Regenry Co., Chicago, 1954) – The U.S. Army printed these plates as wall plaques for use in Army facilities in the 1960's

Tonelli, Joseph J., "Visor Hats of the United States Armed Forces 1930-1950", (Schiffer, Atglen, PA, 2003)

There are several other series of softback monographs from publishers such as Osprey Press. These typically have great artwork and/or photos, but may be less than useful when it comes to text. I have not listed these at this point, but will do so at a later date.

Several publishers have reprinted catalogs from companies like Lilley of Cincinnati, Ridabock of N.Y., Associated Military Stores of Chicago, etc. These are great references. Back in the 1970's, dealer Jacques Noel Jacobsen of Long Island reprinted several small volumes of Army uniform Regulations. These too are quite useful.

All Forum members are invited to add their favorites to the list, but PLEASE, let’s keep it to useful uniform references ONLY. Please use the format as above.

Some other great ones for you early headgear collectors.

Kasal, Mark, and Moore, Don, " A Guide Book To U.S. Army Dress Helmets 1872-1904", (North Cape Publictions, Inc., 2000)

Langellier, John Phillip, " Hats Off Head Dress of the U.S. Army 1872-1912 ", (Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1999)

There is also another book by Langellier that is a titled "More Army Blue" But I do not have the copy in my possession for the rest of the info.

Mario

• 2 weeks later...

Add to the above:

Williams, Colonel Dion, USMC, “Army and Navy Uniforms and Insignia”,(Frederick A. Stokes Company, New York, 1918)

OSPREY MONOGRAPHS:

These are short, fairly concise histories with photos, diagrams, etc., but most importantly for the color center section of eight pages of color plates. These may be fairly useful for the uniform collector, though they are fairly elementary for the advanced collector.

Osprey Men at Arms Series:

Katcher, Philip, plates by Doughty, C.L., “The U.S. Army 1941-45" (Osprey Publishing, London,

1977)

Katcher, Philip, plates by Warner, Chris, “The U.S. Army 1890-1920" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1978)

Katcher, Philip R.N., plates by Embleton, G.A., “The American Indian Wars 1860-1890" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1977)

Katcher, Philip, plates by Collingwood, Chris, “The U.S. Army 1941-45 [revised edition]" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1984)

Katcher, Philip, plates by Chappell, Mike, “Armies of the Vietnam War 1962-1975" ( Osprey Publishing, London, 1980)

Russell, Lee E., plates by Mike Chappell, “Armies of the Vietnam War (2)”, Osprey Publishing, London, 1983)

Russell, Lee E. & Mendez, M. Albert, plates by Hannon, Paul, “Grenada 1983" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1985)

Thomas, Nigel & Abbott, Peter, plates by Chappell, Mike, “The Korean War 1950-1953",(Osprey Publishing, London, 1986)

Osprey Elite Series:

Rottmann, Gordon L., illustrated by Volstad, Ron, “US Army Special Forces 1952-84" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1985)

Rottmann, Gordon L., illustrated by Volstad, Ron, “US Army Rangers and LRRP Units 1942-87-84" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1987)

Rottmann, Gordon L., illustrated by Volstad, Ron, “Inside the US Army Today" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1988)

Rottmann, Gordon L., illustrated by Volstad, Ron, “Vietnam Airborne" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1990)

Rottmann, Gordon L., illustrated by Volstad, Ron, “Armies of the Gulf War" (Osprey Publishing, London, 1993)

KEY UNIFORM GUIDES

Davies, Howard P., “United States Infantry Europe 1942-1945" (Arms and Armour Press, London, 1974)

Davis, Brian L., “U.S. Airborne Forces Europe 1942-1945",(Arco Publishing, New York, 1974)

UNIFORMS ILLUSTRATED Series:

Thompson, Leroy, “US Special Forces 1945 to the Present,” (Arms and Armour Press, London et al, 1984)

Thompson, Leroy, “US Special Forces of World War Two,” (Arms and Armour Press, London et al, 1984)

Laughlin, Cameron P. & Langellier, John P., “US Army Uniforms Europe 1944-1945,” (Arms and Armour Press, London et al, 1986)

G.I. THE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN SOLDIER, HIS UNIFORMS AND HIS EQUIPMENT Series:

Gawne, Jonathan, “Over There! The American Soldier in World War I”(Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, 1997)

Langellier, John P., “The War in Europe From the Kasserine Pass to Berlin,” (Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, 1995)

Gawne, Jonathan, “The War in the Pacific 1941-1945”(Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, 1996)

Anderson, Christopher J., “The U.S. Army Today From the End of the Cold War to the Present Day”(Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, 1997)

All of the above are older. Certainly there has been more recent publications of value. Can anyone else add?

• 3 months later...

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" On collecting insignia and uniform reference books, took it a step further when I scanned the books that are no longer covered by COPYRIGHT and put them on CD disks so I could put away my original books and have handy my "CD Library" attached as an iten that is part of the computer desk and can look at them when I wish or I can burn copies for serious researchers and collectors, either trading CDs with them of their own and sometimes I give them away providing I can also pay postage and handling too, of course! Don't wish to compete with the dealers/sellers. My favourite books are those printed by the government like uniform regulations, I have most of the 19th issues for the United States Navy as well as 1914 and 1939 U.S.P.H.S., amd 1937 U.S.M.C. uniform regs with added pictures of actual insignia, medals, and uniforms. I'd like to see TRADE back into the hobby with people TRADING. I know many of those old insignia are getting hard to find, especially for those who live in areas that lack great used book stores to rummage through. I donate some of my books to A.S.M.I.C. Library, wish they would add CDs to their library as they can be sent on loan cheaply and people can download them and pop then back into the mail to the ASMIC Library, whomever that night be? A.A.M.U.C. is a fine outfit with a good track record. Between AAMUC and ASMIC, cannot think of many other organizations who've serve collectors so well? Hope one day someone will take the early issues of AAMUC Footlocker and scan them for CD, I certainly am available to scan to CD if someone wants their photographs and drawings and other ephemera scanned to CD as you can also send scans by email to each other. I am a 65-year old diabetic who sticks close to the computer and acanner - email me and say hello sometime. Fine catalogue of books, that makes the trip to the book store a little easier to know what to look for, good show! :) Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

post-837-1203218900.jpg

post-837-1203218959.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a very tough judge of reference books, but I think a few more should be listed, as there are a few really good ones for pre-WW2 things out there and some might be all that well known to everyone.

These are a few I use regularly for pre-WW2 research:

Farrington, Dusan, "Arming & Equipping the United States Cavalry, 1865-1902," (Andrew Mowbray Inc, 2005)

Steffen, Randy, "The Horse Soldier, 1776-1943 (Volumes 1-4)" (University of Oklahoma Press, 1991)

Stewart, Jack, "Cowboys In Uniform," (Rough Rider Publishing, 1998)

Werner, Bret, "Uniforms, Equipment And Weapons of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I" (Schiffer Publishing, 2006)

A few on the shelf...

Combat Flying Clothing Army Air Forces Clothing during World War 2 by CG Sweeting and Combat Flying Equipment US Army Aviators Personal Equipment, 1917-1945 also by Sweeting

The VA, Veterans Asso. also put out a WW2 set of books on the war, printed between 1945 and 1949 these show a vast array of pictures from all theaters. A Korean War book was also published.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Pointedcuffs

Here is a new one I just picked up at SOS. It is Great!

McChristian, Douglas C.,Foreward by Greene, Jerome A.,Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment. The U.S. Army On The Western Frontier. 1880-1892 (University of Oklahoma Press 2007)

• 3 months later...

I would add any of the books written by Mark Bando are a must for 101st Airborne collector. Although not specifically a reference book for collectible items, the photos and associated details are an invaluable resource

• 1 month later...

What about the Military Uniform Collectors Handbook? I edited the first edition in 1987.

I guess it's been reissued for different wars....

Gee, I think I heard of that one. Is it available? Where?

G

I can make a pdf of my copy & post it here, if you don't mind. I think it was you who asked me to do it 20 years ago...

Minor stuff compared with what you must have now, this early attempt wasn't very big.

Welcome to the Forum!

The booklet is long out of print, and it is probably obsolete in may ways,now that computers are a way of life.

Let me ask the AAMUC officers of we should ask you to post it.

G

No need. I had a hand in your first printed index, too!

Welcome to the Forum!

The booklet is long out of print, and it is probably obsolete in may ways,now that computers are a way of life.

Let me ask the AAMUC officers of we should ask you to post it.

G

• 3 years later...

This is a great list. There are some new-to-me ones here that I'd like to check out. I'd also add these to the list since they are great sources for helping discern which DIs are proper for which patches, when units went overseas and came home, etc:

Stanton, Shelby L.; World War II Order of Battle; Galahad Books, 1984

Stanton, Shelby L.; Vietnam Order of Battle; News Books, 1981

I'm sure these have been more recently published but these are the ones that I have.

• 1 year later...

If I may add, nothing beats Armed Forces period periodicals as well as unit yearbooks in aiding research in Uniforms, Helmets, Insignia, Equipment, Weaponry for the WWI period up to the present.

• 1 year later...

Preston Perrenot of Las Vegas, Nevada has all of the branches of the United States Armed Forces on both CD disk as well as printed from inception to present including the military academies and the auxiliaries of the U.S. during World War Two. Have seen his nice ads at Amazon dot com and at scribd dot com too! Let's not forget Bunkley from WWI and WWII vintage and Blakeslee too! I've gpt most of the uniform and insignia books printed in the U.S.A., the U.K., Australia and Canada and scan those without a current copyright and show them at https://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942 in over 4,000 albums, anyone is free to go there and download whatever they want and use it wherever or however they wish! Many of those books here you can see free at my website - enjoy! Respectfully, Herbert Booker of Florida :D

If I may add, nothing beats Armed Forces period periodicals as well as unit yearbooks in aiding research in Uniforms, Helmets, Insignia, Equipment, Weaponry for the WWI period up to the present. I agree! I've gotten hold of them dating back to 1841 up to 1967 and show them free at https://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942 for all to download and use wherever, whenver however they wish. My favourites are the U.S.Navy Uniform Regulations for 1883 to 1897 with full colour plates and b&w plates. Herbert Booker of Florida

post-837-0-81519800-1393458407.jpg