WWI horse identification tag ?

Wesson

Hi,

Here's my latest fin in a flea market.

It's a 2,2 inches aluminium plate.

engraved 762 149 th FA USA.

I suppose it's a horse identification tag but I found nothing in my books...what do you think ?

post-24355-0-95260800-1421907213.jpg

hbtcoveralls

Probably not a horse ID tag. Military horses were identified by their "preston Brand" on the top of the neck (crest) just below the mane. A series of letters and numbers about 3" high it identified the animal and corresponded to its complete records. Prior to that they could be branded on their feet, but the problem with tagging a horse is that any tag can come off and a permanant marking is preferred. I read about a mule captured in Korea in '51 who had a preston brand. The records were checked and this mule had been brought over and used in the CBI in WWII and left, wound up in the Chinese army and then was used in Korea, but because he was branded, his history could be found. I think you tag was for some other kind of durable equiptment, either harness or ordnance, but I'm not sure what.

Tom Bowers

Hi,

Here's my latest fin in a flea market.

It's a 2,2 inches aluminium plate.

engraved 762 149 th FA USA.

I suppose it's a horse identification tag but I found nothing in my books...what do you think ?

Could have been attached to keys that were used to keep some item of the Field Arty under lock and key.

• 5 years later...
RustyCanteen

Why is this pinned?

I think it was pinned by mistake while moving it several years ago.

RC

Just speculation, but perhaps it is an equipment tag? In my youth I recall cammo netting and the like with metal ID tags attached.