Unknown bracelet

hirsca

Interesting sterling silver bracelet. Approx 7" long with seven linked arrows. The clasp has a drop with an eagle clutching an arrow and what looks like a trumpet. I can faintly make out what I think are the letters U.S. on the eagle's breastplate. I could be wrong since it is so faint. The eagle faces to our left with wings raised. Similar to the coat of arms for Austria. Since it came from the estate of a vet with other WW2 period items, we thought it might have been some sort of sweetheart bracelet. Are the arrows simbolizing anything? Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1306722198.jpg

post-12790-1306722217.jpg

Al,

That's an interesting bracelet. Are there any maker's marks? If it is marked "sterling" there's a good chance it is US made. A lot of European countries have a different standard for silver, some are 900, some 800, etc. Also, that is an interesting clasp -- I can't tell if there is a spring mechanism on it or not. If so, I have not seen one just like it. Thanks for posting.

Pete

USAFnav---thanks for the comment. There is no maker's mark that I can find. The clasp is stamped STERLING. The clasp is a simple overlapping oval. I think that the arrows have a stiking resemblance to the arrows on the EM collar disks from the FSSF, but I defer to the experts. My wife has taken ownership of it and wears it proudly.

Thanks, Al.

post-12790-1306763076.jpg

Could it be a sweetheart bracelet from someone in the FSSF (crossed arrows)? If so, what does the drop with the eagle symbolize? Thanks, Al.

I'm thinking more tribal appearing with the sun in the chest of the eagle

Thanks Brig, that makes a lot of sense. What's bugging me is that I keep thinking that I've seen that eagle symbol somewhere before, but can't connect the dots. :think: Maybe someone will recognize it. Thanks again.

Al

The eagle appears to be clenching a single arrow in each of its talons. As you doubtless know, the American spreadeagle as seen on The Great Seal of the US holds an olive branch in one and a bundle of arrows in the other, so perhaps your eagle does not have a direct American connection? It's a handsome bracelet though!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

The eagle appears to be clenching a single arrow in each of its talons. As you doubtless know, the American spreadeagle as seen on The Great Seal of the US holds an olive branch in one and a bundle of arrows in the other, so perhaps your eagle does not have a direct American connection? It's a handsome bracelet though!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Sabrejet---Thanks for the compliment. The war department here is now wearing it. The eagle's right talon (to our left) is clutching what seems to me to be a trumpet???? Even with a magnifying glass, 66 year old eyes can't make it out for sure. The elongted verticle image of the eagle reminds me more of a Germanic symbol. But like Brig said, It could have something to do with a tribal symbol. Thanks for the reply.

Al

Sabrejet---Thanks for the compliment. The war department here is now wearing it. The eagle's right talon (to our left) is clutching what seems to me to be a trumpet???? Even with a magnifying glass, 66 year old eyes can't make it out for sure. The elongted verticle image of the eagle reminds me more of a Germanic symbol. But like Brig said, It could have something to do with a tribal symbol. Thanks for the reply.

Al

I see it now...it's a bugle? If so, that implies a military connection of some sort?

Ian :thumbsup:

I see it now...it's a bugle? If so, that implies a military connection of some sort?

Ian :thumbsup:

That's what I'm thinking since it came from the estate of a WW2 vet. But, that doesn't really mean anything by itself. Someone out there has got to recognize the eagle symbol....I hope.

Thanks, Al.

• 10 months later...
That's what I'm thinking since it came from the estate of a WW2 vet. But, that doesn't really mean anything by itself. Someone out there has got to recognize the eagle symbol....I hope.

Thanks, Al.

The search ends.....it is a Pi Beta Phi (Sorority) bracelet. Al.