Blue Angels flight leader relieved of command...!

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

By Brad Knickerbocker, Staff writer / May 28, 2011

The commanding officer of the Blue Angels – the US Navy’s flight demonstration team – has been relieved of command for performing dangerously low maneuvers.

In a highly unusual step, Navy Cmdr. Dave Koss announced Friday that “with deep personal regret … I will be voluntarily leaving the greatest flight demonstration team.”

"I performed a maneuver that had an unacceptably low minimum altitude,” Cmdr. Koss said in a statement. "This maneuver, combined with other instances of not meeting the airborne standard that makes the Blue Angels the exceptional organization that it is, led to my decision to step down."

rest of story: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0528/Blu...-flying-too-low

The Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and most other acrobatic teams base their routines on "follow the leader".

If the flight leader goes too low, then they all do. It's quite possible that if he had flown into the ground, he could have taken the whole flight with him.

Being a Naval aviator, most likely being qualified for carrier landings, is quite the accomplisment in itself.

It's hard to tell if he truly resigned on his own or if he was pushed to do so. But taken at face value, if he did not have that level of precision to lead these flight routines, then the best and most honorable thing to do is step aside. That's a tough decision, but in the end the best for all concerned. And again, with his level of skill and experience to have gotten this post to begin with, I doubt that his career is over.

m1ashooter

Safety of flight is no laughing matter. When the Blues were at an open house at Barksdale AFB in the 80's they got in trouble for flying a bit lower the the FAA would like. They put on a great show and buzzed my house much lower then FAA mins. It was a blast.

Cobrahistorian

I watched the video of the maneuver. They were way too low, and had they continued on that flight path, 3 would have pulled out at about 10 feet and 4 would have gone straight into the ground. 1 pulled out at about 100 feet or so 2 at about 50-75 and 3 and 4 realized what was going on and separated from the formation. It was puckering to watch if you know what to look for.

Jon

El Bibliotecario

I've never heard the term 'voluntary relief." I assume this means, jump, or you'll get pushed.

And again, with his level of skill and experience to have gotten this post to begin with, I doubt that his career is over.

Unfortunately, unless some flag officer "adopts" him and bring him along (and that's getting rare these days) his goose is cooked. He'll retire as an O-6 and go his merry way, but as far as being a potential future flag officer, he's done. :pinch:

El Bibliotecario
...He'll retire as an O-6 and go his merry way, but as far as being a potential future flag officer, he's done. :pinch:

I'd think his efficiency report for this would be enough to keep him an O5. But perhaps the military has become a kinder, more gentle place than I recall...

carbinephalen

Do you think it was an honest mistake? Or him trying to push the envelope and gain some extra cheers from the crowd? I feel bad for the guy that one decision ruined his career....but sometimes that's all that it takes. I've watched them perform recently and my hat's off to him and the rest of the blue angels crew for putting on a truly amazing show :bravo:

Do you think it was an honest mistake? Or him trying to push the envelope and gain some extra cheers from the crowd? I feel bad for the guy that one decision ruined his career....but sometimes that's all that it takes. I've watched them perform recently and my hat's off to him and the rest of the blue angels crew for putting on a truly amazing show :bravo:

Their whole show is about precision flying...there show is plenty of thrills within its prescribed format.

Reckless flying not only endangers the show team... you could be talking about spectator deaths and injuries as well. No one is going to risk that.

I don't know what speed they are flying at when they perform, but the margin of error is a matter of split seconds. I am betting it was a mistake.

teufelhunde.ret
I watched the video of the maneuver. They were way too low, and had they continued on that flight path, 3 would have pulled out at about 10 feet and 4 would have gone straight into the ground. 1 pulled out at about 100 feet or so 2 at about 50-75 and 3 and 4 realized what was going on and separated from the formation. It was puckering to watch if you know what to look for.

Jon

got a link for us?

Cobrahistorian

Yep! Either they entered at too low an altitude or too high an airspeed (or a combination of the two) and didn't recognize it until they were pulling through the bottom of the maneuver.

A similar situation wiped out Thunderbirds in the "Diamond crash" of 1982. Lead was too late in pulling up in a line-abreast loop and all four hit the ground. They train to stay in place visually, so any error on Lead's part has significant effect.

Yep, sure do. Pucker factor increases at 1:50

Whoa! That was one sharp break to the right at the end there. And to my untrained eye, they did look rather low. As one post noted it is doubtful that the crowd even noticed.

Wow, that could have had a really different outcome. The guy in the slot position really had no where to go, looked like he was pulling left late in the move in order to get altitude.

I'd think his efficiency report for this would be enough to keep him an O5. But perhaps the military has become a kinder, more gentle place than I recall...

It will probably start with something like: "CDR Koss continues to develop as a leader..."

That's the nice way of saying: "His goose is cooked..." :pinch:

Depending on how long he's been in command, he may or may not lose his command at sea pin. Mega bummer...

Dave

According to the article, the commander hadn't even been in command for a year. He took command of the team in November of 2010. I hate reading about things like this. I'm sure he had a solid career, but it only takes one mistake to make everybody forget about a careers-worth of good performance.

I'm sure his "goose is cooked," but one can only hope he finds another assignment and he doesn't get shoved out of the navy.

Again, that may be a little too idealistic. Who knows?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember this one? :D

I have to say it: I miss the "old days" of low-level passes over spectators. I know the Ramstien crash (in, what, 1988?) put the fear in the authorities, but I sure miss those passes.