Desert storm embroidered boonie and early OEF DCU boonie

agate hunter

agate hunter

hey everyone, just looking for opinions on these two boonie hats. the desert storm one looks customized, and i was wondering if there is anyway to see if it was in country.

the DCU boonie hat has writing on the inside. i can somewhat make it out, but if anyone else can help that would be great. from what i can see it says:

TSGT LORETTA CLARK

OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM

DOHA

ALUDIED GATAR

24 SEP 2001 - 3 MAR 2002

post-10495-1306646504.jpg

post-10495-1306646523.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

The embroidery on the Desert Storm boonie looks in country to me..VERY rare.

The OIF one says

Al Udeid, Qatar, which stands for Al Udeid Air Base, Doha, Qatar.It is headquarters of United States Central Command, headquarters of United States Air Forces Central Command

These are both EXTREMELY cool

The Desert Storm boonie looks like one of the ones done at the Souk in Dammam. The guy who did these was from Thailand and he free-handed EVERYTHING from the lettering to jump wings, to branch insignia etc. He was AMAZING to watch. That cap probably took him all of two minutes (ok, maybe three) to knock out, but he was just unbelieveable.

That is one cool boonie. Oh yeah, if you have to advertise that you are "the cool one," odds are you aren't! :lol:

Allan

That is one cool boonie. Oh yeah, if you have to advertise that you are "the cool one," odds are you aren't! :lol:

Allan

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! :lol:

willysmb44

You got that from the guy at Yardbirds in Chehalis, didn’t you? I’ve handled one of them and wondered if he might have gotten them done after the war as he had almost exactly the same kinds of embroidery from the second Iraq war on a later bonnie cover (and had more than one of those).

agate hunter
You got that from the guy at Yardbirds in Chehalis, didn’t you? I’ve handled one of them and wondered if he might have gotten them done after the war as he had almost exactly the same kinds of embroidery from the second Iraq war on a later bonnie cover (and had more than one of those).

yes i did get it from yardbirds. it didn't cost anything since i traded for it.

CampSutton

My unit was moved into a holding area prior to flying out after the war in 1991. In the oversized tent on one side was a sewing operation set up to create items like this. There was a line of about 100 soldiers or more at all times and they were cranking these out.

Laughted a little when the Battalion Sergeant Major scolded the Battalion Commander's driver for an unathorized modification of his hat.

These may not be on the market now but a lot were made then. I remember mostly Black thread. Not saying the one pictured was not done in 1991. I just remember you picked your designs and the more creative you wanted to be the more they would do.

Nice pieces of history...............

• 7 years later...

I recently picked up a similar hat, and came across this post while researching it on Google. Sorry if it's bad form to revive this 8 year old thread, but I figured I'd share mine here too.

post-214348-0-34569100-1554052095.jpg