Any pictures of the M1941 Daisy Mae hat in use?

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

Got a repro from WWII Impressions (IMPECCABLE repro, by the way) and I am looking to figure out how to wear the darned thing. Anbody have pictures of them in use by troops in WWII? Searched to no avail earlier.

Garandomatic

That tricorn is pretty cool, not sure if I could pull it off, though! Interesting that folding the brim on the sides like a cowboy hat wasn't too popular from the few pictures I've seen, but was very popular later in Vietnam.

Probably the most unflattering hat ever issued to GIs! I have an original, unissued example. Very well made.

Sabrejet :w00t:

Garandomatic

Totally. I call it my crazy hat, as I'm sure people wonder what the hell's wrong with me when I wear it, but dang it sure is nice!

Probably the most unflattering hat ever issued to GIs! I have an original, unissued example. Very well made.

Sabrejet :w00t:

I just picked up this photo at the flea market yesterday with several others.

The guy on the left is also wearing a first pattern HBT jacket.

5klrhe.jpg

Justin

Great pic Justin. Makes you wonder how he blew out both knees of his HBTs!?

Ian :w00t:

Great pic Justin. Makes you wonder how he blew out both knees of his HBTs!?

Ian :w00t:

I don't know but he doesn't seem to happy! :lol:

Justin

Here are two more from a grouping I have. The soldier was Karl Peters of the 127th ordnance maintenance battalion, 5th armored division. He took lots of pictures and wrote many letters back home throughout the war.

Top photo "we are in fatiquge (work) suits-

Haven't done any work yet." ;)

Bottom is Karl.

33agen9.jpg

rhr2x1.jpg

Justin

Got a repro from WWII Impressions (IMPECCABLE repro, by the way) and I am looking to figure out how to wear the darned thing. Anbody have pictures of them in use by troops in WWII? Searched to no avail earlier.

Thanks for the positive remarks!

I just picked up this photo at the flea market yesterday with several others.

The guy on the left is also wearing a first pattern HBT jacket.

5klrhe.jpg

Justin

Take note that the man on the left is standing at attention...I have a feeling that he'd been messed with for awhile, possibly being punished in some cruel and unusual way, which might explain the knee wear and facial expression.

I can't recall where I got this one; it most likely was this forum. Anyway, the hat actually looks good in this photo:

post-257-1307128563.jpg

Here are the only two photos of it in wear in my collection:

On the reverse of the first picture it reads: April - 1943 Ace in fatigues on beach at Turtle Bay Camp Halen.

Ace.jpg

The reverse of this one carries the following inscription: Good luck to a good soldier. J.W. Coffey 1st Sergeant. March 14, 1943.

JWCoffey.jpg

• 7 years later...

Lets throw some life into this thread! If anyone is interested, the picture of the guy with the worn out knees looks to be the Quad at Texas A&M... since they are wearing HBTs I would figure that this was just after WWII, since ROTC was always behind the Army with uniform issue. This looks like the extreme hazing that was encountered just after the war when veterans returned to finish school, and new freshman who had been too young to fight started. This mix of 18 year old who did not fight and 20 something year olds who had fought really started the hazing that the Corps was known for. In fact it got so bad in the post-war period that a whole new campus was set up (Riverside/TEEX) just to house and teach the freshman. Which is also how TAMU's Fish Drill Team started, and why they are allowed to wear junior issue uniforms as freshman. I can't be sure, but those buildings have the exact same exterior as our dorms do on the Quad, so I'd say that's a great bet.