Patch Gods Smiled on Me Today

Set up at a very small Collectables show (7 total vendors) in a rural setting today. Since I have set up there a few times , the others all know me as the military collector and I was the first one there to set up. Two other separate vendors showed up and each called me over to show me something. Some of these will be listed in the for sale section later. Here is what they had:

These two I cannot find anything about. A search for ASG-21 turned up nothing but a Navy Ship which may be related.

The Toupers Troopers looks to be Thai made but USAFpatches does not have anything listed for this one under multiple phrase seaches that I tried.

post-5041-1306631003.jpg

post-5041-1306631025.jpg

I'll say the gods have been smiling on you for sure. Remember to burn a repro in their honor tonight. It is only customary.

-Ski

Steve-

The Emerson patch has a bee with a 52 on it. Get it? Guess they were trying to be cute. It's for the tail gunnery radar in the BUFF. The other is something from one of the Thai based F-4 units later in the VN war, I want to say 432 but not sure. Hope this helps!

Randy

Steve-

The Emerson patch has a bee with a 52 on it. Get it? Guess they were trying to be cute. It's for the tail gunnery radar in the BUFF. The other is something from one of the Thai based F-4 units later in the VN war, I want to say 432 but not sure. Hope this helps!

Randy

Randy

NOW it is plain as day! I knew the 52 had to mean something Looks more like a wasp to me :think:

Ski

Sacrificial patch will be burned tomorrow at sunrise before I head back to the show!

Toupers Troopers just screams Vietnam era. It looks like a morale patch for a ground crew. This literally might have been made after rowdy night on the town.. it's just a bit overdone. That might explain why it looks like it has never been worn!

Making a leap in logic that "Touper" might be a name might be the only clue in tracking this one down. And even that might be a nickname.

According to a vet that I know was at Udorn, you could literally have anything you wanted made. This seems to fall into that catagory. And for that reason, I like it.

I'll say the gods have been smiling on you for sure. Remember to burn a repro in their honor tonight. It is only customary.

-Ski

Well folks, it seems that this custom is true. After preforming the ritual Sunday morning before heading back to the show, on arrival I went through the one box of patches again and found these :D

post-5041-1306804757.jpg

• 1 month later...
Mark

Thanks for that link. Seems that it is related to the 388th TFW, possibly the 388th OMS. I fired off an email to that Vet asking for info about it and will post it if I hear back from him.

Steve

I heard back from the fellow in the link that Mark provided. His reply was that MSgt Toup was the NCOIC on the flight line, would party hearty with his troops and was a great boss. He was not sure about the eight red stars but agrees with me in the theory that they represent the eight unit citations that the 388th TFW earned in Vietnam. If he can locate his old room mate, he will try and find out any additional info and let me know.

Steve