It's 'salty' and nothing special, but,...

tsellati

...I am quite excited to have added this OD HBT cotton M1943 field cap to my collection.

Here are some pictures -

caprightside.jpg

capleftside.jpg

capHBtwill.jpg

caprear.jpg

This one is dated 1945 -

capinkstamp.jpg

And the reason, you might ask, for my excitement about acquiring this 'plain Jane' cap is that it appears to be the same style cap worn by my dad in some of the wartime photos I have of him -

dadsweeping.jpg

The story behind why my dad is on sweeping detail is that a sneak search of the rooms was pulled and a number of 'undocumented' Lugers and P-38 pistols turned up. The whole bunch of guys got placed on sweeping detail for not having turned in the pistols. As my dad wrote on the back of the photo, "...they gave us a receipt for them. Not that that means too much".

You wonder how many "bringbacks" were actually not brought back by the guys that liberated them from their previous Axis owners.

Tim

'Flage Guy

That looks to be the Navy's Utility Cap; the longer bill gives it away.

I have one similar to yours. The Q.M. tag dates it at 1950 and the pattern date as 1945. This style was later issued in sateen fabric. Mine also has the ventelation grommets a difference being that mine has eight rows of stitching on the bill

flyer333555

Tsellati and Capa-

The problem is, as I understand, that the OP is implying those sweepers never got to keep their Lugers and P .38s... All they got was the receipt and the sweeping job. Shame!

:thumbdown:

Luis R.

Tim - that's a 1945 pattern cap with the longer brim - you need the earlier one with the shorter brim to match your Dad's.

Nice story about your Dad and his "brush" with trouble though... ;)

Cheers,

Glen.