Shoulder Sleeve Insignia & Patch References

Jim Baker

Hi everybody,

hello Barry Jay, could read your reply and wanted to ask to get some of the available ASMIC Trading Post booklets - I'm not an ASMIC member and I'm in Germany.Would you tell me please,is it possible to order some of them and where can I order it ? Thanks in advance

doughboy

My new book SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA OF THE AMERICAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCES 1918-1919 BY ORDER OF GENERAL JOHN J. PERSHING, COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF is NOW AVAILABLE !

This book is the first publication that documents and displays copies of the drawings, paintings and samples submitted of every officially authorized shoulder sleeve insignia approved in 1918-1919 by General Headquarters, American Expeditionary Forces, by Command of General John J. Pershing as Commander-in-Chief.

Covered are the authorized shoulder sleeve insignia of: General Headquarters, Armies, Corps, Divisions, support organizations of the Services of Supply, special units, and Marine Corps Brigades. The author provides a background and brief history of America’s entry into WWI, the formation, linage and campaign credits of the units as well as quotations and pictorial materials from the documents of record relating to the approvals of 193 insignia for 80 primary Army and Marine Corps units serving in the A.E.F. in WWI. They represent the first distinctive shoulder sleeve insignia officially approved. Many of the designs are still used as distinguishing marks for units of the U.S. Army.As the author I undertook this endeavor recognizing that to the best of my knowledge over my 70 years of collecting I was not aware if any publication that had comprehensive documentation of the actual shoulder sleeve insignia designs officially approved in World War I. A rather astonishing gap for those of us with an interest in collecting and history of the period. I researched tens of thousands of documents in the National Archives, The Institute of Heraldry and the Quartermaster Museum as well as material from The Center of Military History, Army Historical Society, WWI Museum, others, and, of course, the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC) of which I have been a member for 5 decades.

It is a must have book for any collector or person interested in insignia or military history. The book is 6" x 9" hard cover with over 200 color and black and white images – 208 pages.

The book is available from the publisher, Schiffer Publishing, LTD for $59.99 (http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=9780764340444).

However, as a special offer I will send you directly an autographed copy as noted above, including shipping (US only). You can purchase directly from me via my PayPal account [email protected] or by check to me: H. Ross Ford, 1608 Harbor Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185

If you email me at [email protected] that you are placing an order that will help expedite the process. If you want me to include a short dedicated message I’ll be pleased to do that.

Don’t forget your return address! H. Ross Ford

• 9 months later...

I am trying to locate a good reference for O.D. Border patches. I have noticed different patches in different publications. I am looking for a book with all listed, or is that possible.

Thanks

Rich

vintageproductions

Unfortunately, no such book exists.

You should look at the pinned thread on od borders. I think it is pretty much the best info that is out there on the od borders.

ASMIC did an article which showed many of the OD borders in color.

You Can order the back issue of the July-Sept 1993 Trading Post which has a four page color insert of all the ODB patches known to exist at the time

order from:

Allen Andrews

PO Box 361

Lebanon, IN 46052

cost is:

$6 each for non-members $5 each for three or more issues

$4 each for members $3 each for three or more issue (must provide a member number to get member price)

Media mail is $4.25 for up to three issues $6.25 for 4-6 issues $8.25 for 7 or more issues

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all, I'm trying to obtain a reasonably priced copy of Chris Brown's US Military Patches of World War II. Cheapest I've found them going for is in the $120 range. I'm sure it is a valuable resource, however I can't afford to spend that much.

If anyone knows of a used copy that is no longer being used, I'd be interested in buying.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I'm trying to obtain a reasonably priced copy of Chris Brown's US Military Patches of World War II. Cheapest I've found them going for is in the $120 range. I'm sure it is a valuable resource, however I can't afford to spend that much.

If anyone knows of a used copy that is no longer being used, I'd be interested in buying.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't think the book is worth it. I sold mine a long time ago. You are better served to get a copy of Keller's patch books along with Hans De Bree's wonderful book.

-Ski

Thanks, Ski. Looks like I can get volume 1 and 2 of Keller's books for a total of $90. Much more reasonable than $120+. Bree's book is about $55.

Don't have the funds to buy all three right now. Were you to choose between the two as a first, would you go for Keller's Vol 1 & 2 or Bree's book?

Looks lime Bree's book covers a lot more in a single source; Armored, Cavalry, USAAF, USMC, whereas Keller's books focus primarly on Inf Div SSI's.

Would this be correct? Does Bree's book also focus on variants? I'm leaning towards his book to start but am curious as to how comprehensive it is.

Thanks in advance!

I should point out my main focus at the moment is WWII insignia. I understand Keller's books obviously span WWI to Korea.

Well, De Bree's book isn't a patch guide but a collector's guide. It gives a history and examples of WWII patches rather than attempting to show all patches from an era. Keller's books are really picture books that show examples of each patch. These only cover their subject matter, so you still miss out on patches that aren't Armies, Corps and Divisions. The decision which book to get is completely up to you. Each book helps put together the collecting Jigsaw puzzle. De Bree's book edges out Keller if you are starting collecting and want a primer on what to look for IMHO.

-Ski

Thanks, Ski. I read the reviews for Bree's book earlier on Amazon and it seemed to be what I was looking for (photo examples with explanations on the manufacturing/construction process). I already ordered it and it shoul arrive next week.

I'll tell my wife about the Keller's books; maybe she'll pick them up for me as a Father's Day present from my kids. :D

Thanks, Ski. I read the reviews for Bree's book earlier on Amazon and it seemed to be what I was looking for (photo examples with explanations on the manufacturing/construction process). I already ordered it and it shoul arrive next week.

I'll tell my wife about the Keller's books; maybe she'll pick them up for me as a Father's Day present from my kids. :D

I recently received a copy of this as a present and its a super one , I think fantastic for the starting WW2 SSI /any collector to have in their collection-

• 9 months later...
philliephanatic

If money is an issue, I would recommend joining ASMIC. They have been posting copies of the older issues of the Trading Post on their websites for members to view. There is tons of information to reference there.

Other folks have posted the reference books that I have in my collection.

I do have one question for anyone to help with. Is there a series of books that depict the USAAF insignia from WWII. I thought there was someone who produced a couple of books on them but I can't seem to find where his website is.

• 1 year later...

I have recently started collecting theater made patches from OEF and OIF. As it is a new area of collecting for me, I was wondering if there are any good references out there.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I have recently started collecting theater made patches from OEF and OIF. As it is a new area of collecting for me, I was wondering if there are any good references out there.

Thanks!

Bump...Anything?

There is a new reference book - Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces, 1st Edit by Born and Barnes. HC, 344 ppg, avail from Schiffer Books and Amazon.

There is a new reference book - Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces, 1st Edit by Born and Barnes. HC, 344 ppg, avail from Schiffer Books and Amazon.

Thank you Sir!

• 10 months later...

Airborne Cap Patches by Kevin Delaitre, bilingual book (both French and English).

Author's words: "Hi all, my second book is now available for sale! It gathers 119 variants of US Airborne cap patches made during WW2. You are explained in it all basic types, how to recognize them, as well as variants that have been made like British made, Theater made, etc…DISCOVER A NEVER SEEN BEFORE COLLECTION. The book makes 100 pages, 16x24cm and sells for €20 + shipping charges – depends on your location. Anyone who would be interested in buying a copy feel free to send me a friend request or PM to place an order. Bye". His FB is: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008896208287

post-87587-0-96424100-1520359305_thumb.jpg

post-87587-0-48728300-1520359312_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All of us know that legendary book "Chevrons" by LTC William K. Emerson that was punblished in 1983. It's still has tons of knowledge in it BUT it's outdated, let's say it straight. And then in 2010 Emerson made an updated version of it or it will be honest to say - it's a full re-issue published by Bender Publishing. More than 400 pages of FULL-COLORED photos of chevrons, rare b/w and colored photos and TONS of super-useful info! Today I got my copy of it! And it's AWESOME!!! Check some photos below. I highly recommend to everyone who in love with collecting chevrons to obtain this masterpiece! Just follow the link: http://www.bender-publishing.com/Chevrons.html

20180321_170126_800.jpgi.gif

20180321_170337_800.jpgi.gif

20180321_170359_800.jpgi.gif

20180321_170421_800.jpgi.gif

• 3 years later...

good after noon all

does any one have a copy of (  Airborne Cap Patches by Kevin Delaitre  )

if you please e-mail or call air    [email protected]  or  727-698-7721 

also have many other military history to trade or sell

thanks  air

• 10 months later...

For those that might be interested I have produced these 3 books covering US Army aviation patches from 9/11 forward.  I am currently working on a 4th that covers Guard and Reserve General Support and Assault Helicopter battalions and companies.  They are currently available on Amazon.

books 20220412_110623.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello.  I am new to this site.  Looking for information on a particular patch.  This shirt is an OG-107 ca. early 1960s fatigue top with a 1950s-60s Ranger tab and Parachute Riggers qualification badge.  No Jump Wings.  A green arrowhead with a horse head intersected by a bayonet.  Can't find in online nor in any SSI guidebooks.

Patch Green.jpg

Rigger.jpg

Shirt 2.jpg