USN distress marker?

MAS36

found this at the flea market for a dollar

it's 4" tall and made of grey painted metal with a safety pin on the side, the bottom is marked USN and Fulton

when did they make this type? is it post WWII? Ive seen newer ones made of plastic.

post-778-1192464456.jpg

found this at the flea market for a dollar

it's 4" tall and made of grey painted metal with a safety pin on the side, the bottom is marked USN and Fulton

when did they make this type? is it post WWII? Ive seen newer ones made of plastic.

Do a forum search for Navy and flashlights (be sure to include the word "and") and you should find a thread about Navy lights. I'm fairly certain the metals ones were WWII (and maybe even a little before the war).

what you have is the US navy life preserver light spec. 17-L-16 (small).This is the earlier version wiht safety pin a later model circa early 1945 added a more durable pin for attachment to life vests.This is WWII, I have not been able to exactly pin down the exact date of specification but my best educated guess would be Late 1943 or early 1944,substantual contracts were awarded for these lights putting the manufacture totals over a million.every life vest was to be equiped with this light,there were two manufacturers fulton and BMG (Bridgeport Metal Goods).this light was a bureu of navy item and used by all branches with the navy department including USCG.a very common light an not worth much more than you paid for it though sometimes on Ebay they reach close the $20 range for some reason

here are some pictures of the variations note: second one from right has the updated pin of a thicker gauge

post-56-1192473279.jpg