?? on air crew wings

Rob P.

Picked these up while on vacation, I am guessing WWII? They are clutch back and are only marked "sterling" on the back. For $6 bucks I don't think I went wrong, but this is not my area of expertise. Can you guys tell me anything about them?

Thank You and Semper Fi, Rob

168.jpg

169.jpg

They look pretty good to me...40s > 50s vintage? It's difficult to see in the pic, but if the pins are short-ish, that can be an indicator of the WW2 period. Later, post-war wings had noticeably longer pins. If you have some known post-war clutchbacks, compare them. The style of the clutches themselves can also be an indicator, but missing or loose clutches are often replaced so it's not an exact science! That said, for just $6 you had yourself a bargain anyway!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

They look pretty good to me...40s > 50s vintage? It's difficult to see in the pic, but if the pins are short-ish, that can be an indicator of the WW2 period. Later, post-war wings had noticeably longer pins. If you have some known post-war clutchbacks, compare them. The style of the clutches themselves can also be an indicator, but missing or loose clutches are often replaced so it's not an exact science! That said, for just $6 you had yourself a bargain anyway!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Thanks Sabrejet, they are shorter then some newer clutchbacks that I have, and are slightly knobed on the ends.

Semper Fi, Rob