B-17 DATA PLATE

ram957

This is a recent addition to my collection...From my research I found that 41-24622 was assigned to the AAFTTC and stationed at Boca Raton Army Airfield. The ship was used to perform radar check flights. On May 27, 1944 , shortly after take off,during a test flight, the #1 engine caught fire and the plane started it's return to base. The fire was extinguished but the rear landing gear would not go down. The flight engineer attempted to hand crank it down but only got it partially down by time the plane landed. It was a hard landing. The fuselage sprung and the tail section bent in. It appears that the plane was scrapped after the accident.

post-13070-1306464542.jpg

This is a recent addition to my collection...From my research I found that 41-24622 was assigned to the AAFTTC and stationed at Boca Raton Army Airfield. The ship was used to perform radar check flights. On May 27, 1944 , shortly after take off,during a test flight, the #1 engine caught fire and the plane started it's return to base. The fire was extinguished but the rear landing gear would not go down. The flight engineer attempted to hand crank it down but only got it partially down by time the plane landed. It was a hard landing. The fuselage sprung and the tail section bent in. It appears that the plane was scrapped after the accident.

Where was the aircraft built?

Where was the aircraft built?

It was one of the first 300 B-17Fs built by Boeing in Seattle

Cobrahistorian

Great data plate! It is amazing how much historical information we can get from these little pieces of aluminum. I've got one data plate and I'd like to add a couple more to my collection.

Jon

Great data plate! It is amazing how much historical information we can get from these little pieces of aluminum. I've got one data plate and I'd like to add a couple more to my collection.

Jon

THANKS..I've been looking for one for a while and finally got lucky....Now I would love another also !!...I find the research facinating. It's a tribute to the members of the USAAF that an item like this can be researched. I find that the records that were produced and maintained are incredible !! I used to laugh while watching old military movies that everyone bitched about filling out reports for every little occurance, and doing it in triplicate. Researches like myself are greatful that they were so detailed with their record keeping. Thanks also goes to the numerous people who compiled and maintain the hundreds of military research sites !!

Cobrahistorian
THANKS..I've been looking for one for a while and finally got lucky....Now I would love another also !!...I find the research facinating. It's a tribute to the members of the USAAF that an item like this can be researched. I find that the records that were produced and maintained are incredible !! I used to laugh while watching old military movies that everyone bitched about filling out reports for every little occurance, and doing it in triplicate. Researches like myself are greatful that they were so detailed with their record keeping. Thanks also goes to the numerous people who compiled and maintain the hundreds of military research sites !!

Absolutely! A quick google search for my P-40C revealed a wealth of information. I'm in the process of building a model of my airplane to go along with the dataplate and original photos of 57th PG P-40Cs.

Jon