24th ID Ike and Trousers

Russell 1910

Stopped in at a new antique store and was looking at a few items in a display case, when the woman behind the counter asked if I collected military items. She asked if I wanted to see a few uniforms that had just come in and they were still pricing. I apologize for the poor quality shots as they were taken with the cell phone camera.

Enlisted Ike with 1944 spec tag, all in pretty good shape. No collar discs or other insignia. The chevrons are the later style. I neglected to take a photo of the over seas service bars, but I think there were two or three- I was paying more attention to the ribbions and trying to look on the back of the CIB. Also included were a nice pair of later model trousers in the daker shade to match the Ike. She indicated she was going to price it at $175.00 and perhaps she was trying to get my reaction.

They also had an officers 4 pocket in dark elastique with no insignia and an ROTC patch on the sleeve, and mildew on the other sleeve, missing the waist belt... For only $75. I suggested that I thought both were a bit too high (IMHO).

Anyway back to the Ike.

*CIB*

*Bronze Star*

*Purple Heart*Good Conduct*WWII Victory*

*Asiatic/Pacific Campaign*Philippines Liberation*American Campaign*

The pacific campaign has 3 stars for New Guinea, Luzon and Phillipines? The liberation has two stars, so if my information is correct he A: would have landed during the initial phase in Oct 1944, B: particpated in combat and C: was in the Phillipines for 30 days or more from mid Oct to Sept 1945.

The CIB is a one piece with clutch backs, with the dimpled fasteners. I think all of the ribbons were pin backs (bronze star was clutch back) and the Pacific and Liberation ribbons have the plastic coating, all individual ribbons. Would the American campaign indicate Oahu/Pearl Harbor? So that would suggest he was in from '41-'45?

post-141-1192398330.jpg

post-141-1192398365.jpg

I agree with Schottzie on the pricing.

If he was at Pearl Harbor, he would have worn the American Defense ribbon, with a star. Instead he has the American Campaign which would indicate he trained in the US for some time before being shipped overseas.

G

Some of those ribbons look way too nice compared to the other ones, in fact the bronze star ribbon looks like it just came out of the PX, and I would like to see the back of the CIB as well. It just looks too new, almost like the ones that are sold now days, but I cant tell too much from the photos.