Thompson M1A1 Scratch built 1:1 scale

davecast

Hey all.

First time posting here. Here is my little project i like to share. It is a fully scratch built Thomson m1a1 1:1 scale. Built out of foam then recast in resin. I used online blue prints and picture reference as my guide.

0c84c631.jpg

bf4271dd.jpg

6197dc21.jpg

29d210ae.jpg

here are the resin parts

284d112d.jpg

you might ask why I want to do this project..will the reason is that i am an expat working overseas. So where i am staying now any imported replica is a big no no. So i just decided that i should just build one for my own collection.

let me know what you think.

thanks

Lucky 7th Armored

SWEET!!Ive been wanting to do this for a while! How did you get the mag to actually stay in? How much does it weigh?

Haydn

SWEET!!Ive been wanting to do this for a while! How did you get the mag to actually stay in? How much does it weigh?

Haydn

weight a couple pounds...heavy...

the mag stay in by using magnetic tape and a friction plate. if you want i can send you a set to try it out.

Here is another project i just done up last weekend.

100% scratch built mock 1911 .45 7 round mag.

5c3c6f12.jpg

3ca20ee0.jpg

this is cast in resin in order for me to produce them in qty for my ww2 group here in Singapore.

let me know what you guys think.

thanks

here is some of the molds for the kit.....had to make this in front of my apartment. Need a gas mask to save me from the fumes...haha

3cbab3d7.jpg

i am making this for my group in Singapore.

that's some pretty nice work. Really like that Thompson :thumbsup:

Terry

thank you very much. next up grease gun m3.

Captainofthe7th

This is really cool!! Nice model making skills. What kind of resin are you using? These are huge parts...it must be expensive. Did you consider making the parts hollow? That's really a ton of res.. I had to cast some much smaller parts (I use oomoo 300 for the pieces and oomoo 30 for the rubber mold) and it ran me close to $100 for some pieces about the size of the handle on your thompson. What kind of foam do you use? Something like ren-shape? It's great stuff to work with.

Rob

This is really cool!! Nice model making skills. What kind of resin are you using? These are huge parts...it must be expensive. Did you consider making the parts hollow? That's really a ton of res.. I had to cast some much smaller parts (I use oomoo 300 for the pieces and oomoo 30 for the rubber mold) and it ran me close to $100 for some pieces about the size of the handle on your thompson. What kind of foam do you use? Something like ren-shape? It's great stuff to work with.

Rob

for the master i used blue foam, and some wood. Carve the stock and grip and body then cast in rubber to make the mold.

found a good supplier here for the resin i used the clear poly resin. Resin is cheap for a 20kg drum cost me $200....i can make at alot cast out of it. Took me a while but i figure out how to mix the right ration of baby powder to the resin. Due to the humidity and temperature here it is bit tricky. Actually i feel it weights like the real one....about 2kg of resin used.

some has suggested that i need a vacuum chamber to get rid of the bubble however i dont have the money or skill to build one big enough to hold the mold, so to solve the bubble i mix in more powder to make it thick and now it comes out bubble free.

to say for the experience it was a lot of work and planing and the resin fumes make me dizzy abit...i really need a good gas mask.

now things that need to add on:

1-Stock attachment bolt....can do a mock one from hard ware shop

2-Sling.....If any of you got sling i am willing to trade one kit for your sling.

this was a stanag mag project that i also did in resin.

adb28447.jpg

89214b0a.jpg

fe9518a0.jpg

this comes with painted round on top. Most guys here use to put these in their vest pouches during event to make it more real...since real stanag mag is not allowed here i have to make my own from scratch.

Captainofthe7th

Huh, I've avoided using blue foam for a master but these look great. Always used blue foam for sketch models and a renshape or styrene model for the final part to be cast.

For a vacuum chamber, one of my professors says he just rigged up a vacuum cleaner and some cardboard boxes duct taped together. Apparently it works. But you seem to have the bubble issue worked out in the mixing.

Rob

Huh, I've avoided using blue foam for a master but these look great. Always used blue foam for sketch models and a renshape or styrene model for the final part to be cast.

For a vacuum chamber, one of my professors says he just rigged up a vacuum cleaner and some cardboard boxes duct taped together. Apparently it works. But you seem to have the bubble issue worked out in the mixing.

Rob

Blue foam is ok for me when i was working for an ID firm. good for sketch model i agree. renshape foam i cant get a hold of here....only got pink or blue.

Thought about building chamber out of plastic containers and use my household vacuum cleaner but my wife would kill me for that...haha. Working on a vacuum form machine now.

currently sketch building an m3 now.

Jim MacDonald

That's some really nice work. How long did it take you to do the Thompson from start to finish?

Mac

That's some really nice work. How long did it take you to do the Thompson from start to finish?

Mac

Took me 3 days

1 night to do the master

1 day to mold and cure the mold then 1 day to cast and paint and assemble

I did an early mock up in 2 days all out of foam and cover with epoxy... Not good but nice to check the size

Jim MacDonald

Thanks for the info, Davecast. It probably would've taken me a month just to do the master.

Mac

Thanks for the info, Davecast. It probably would've taken me a month just to do the master.

Mac

The master was ok to do depend on how much detail you want to put in....i did not do alot of the details (since this was for my costume group here in Singapore and it is just used for events). I think i left out alot of details but i kept the general shape.

The Thompson is more square shapes so it is easy to do...if i was going to do a mp40 or 1911 colt which has more rounded body it will take more time to do all the shaping and carving.

Blue foam is very easy to work and shape with and can do it quick.

• 3 weeks later...
GoldenCross

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work! The Thompson looks fantastic! I would love to see it displayed!

• 4 weeks later...