help identifying type of plane in picture

Thor996

Recently found these four photographs of a Squadron identified as VC-42 [names are written on back of group photo as well as rank and hometown]. Not familiar with aircraft would someone please help if possible what type of plane is pictured on the deck with them? The photo is dated April 1945- I know from some research that the squadron flew TBM and FM planes.

post-30395-1306246994.jpg

Mike Myhal
Recently found these four photographs of a Squadron identified as VC-42 [names are written on back of group photo as well as rank and hometown]. Not familiar with aircraft would someone please help if possible what type of plane is pictured on the deck with them? The photo is dated April 1945- I know from some research that the squadron flew TBM and FM planes.

Hello,

The plane is a TBM/TBF Grumman Avenger Torpedo Bomber. They were widely used by VC squadrons along with the F-4-F Grumman Wildcat fighters which made up the complete Composaite squadrons. They had a three bladed propeller and I can only see one blade so I belive the other two blades are hidden by the edge of the photo.

Mike